Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sweet FHE

A few weeks ago, someone in the family suggested we go outside for FHE. At first, I kind of groaned, since by that time of day, I am just exhausted out of my mind.  Supervising homework and shouting out spelling words to Noah while Gabe climbs up onto the counters begging for food, and trying to grab food I'm chopping, or trying to touch the stove, then ultimately screaming because he's so hungry and all the while I'm trying to cook dinner, and get someone to set the table, and then when we finally eat, getting up out of my seat time and time again to get someone seconds or to refill a drink or get napkins, and then persuading a child to clear the table, and then washing up all the dishes, my energy reserves are pretty much spent. 

But it occurred to me that we would probably take a blanket outside and I could lie on that blanket and rest, and that was super appealing, so we trooped outside.  Brad and I watched the children happily playing.  The weather was nice and I felt myself relaxing from the night time rush.  

We did a simple lesson, took our weekly family picture and Noah couldn't think of an activity, so Brad suggested one we'd seen at the BYU Traditions ball. We saw an improv comedy routine by LOL and so we showed the kids how to play the game.  They loved it.  We showed them a different game, where one person takes turns pointing to people and when they do, you have to tell a part of a story, and as soon as they point to someone else, you have to stop mid-word.  It was a blast.  Amalie was surprisingly good and seemed to be having the most fun, even though all of us were laughing and having fun. (Gabe was pushing his car around or something) Brad started slyly taking pictures of Amalie and he captured this gem:
It's definitely my new fave of Amalie- what rapturous joy!  It was a fun family home evening, which was nice.  The kids LOVE it, and they keep us on the ball.  It is so nice that our kids WANT to be around us, that they love for us to play with them and be with them and watch the same Veggie Tales clip over and over and over with them.  It's nice to be needed and wanted.  Today at Church, I was in the Primary room, talking to a friend, and Brad brought Gabe in to meet me.  Noah came up to get me as well, and then Amalie's teacher brought her in, and then I needed to talk to someone else, and then get a paper from someone else and so on and so on.  All the while, my family is hovering near me, waiting for me, Gabe is begging for me to hold him, and I am feeling a little stressed trying to juggle all that.

But I thought as I got home,  "I am the center of their lives."  And as inconvenient as that is sometimes, I dearly love it, and wouldn't have it any other way.  Yes, it is hard when they need you so much, but oh, how nice it is to be needed. 
I'm grateful for those little insights that help me realize how sweet life really is. 

3 comments:

Jena said...

I love these posts!

Kate said...

Thank you my friend!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! These are golden days, crazy, wild, busy, FULL days but golden! You're building memories that will last forever!
xoxox