Noah was almost four when we noticed one eye kept moving inward of its own accord. It was a little alarming and when we had him checked out, we discovered he needed glasses. I felt a little dismayed. My perfectly healthy little boy was no longer just that. I knew, that given the big picture, it wasn't a big deal, but I couldn't help mourning that Noah's eyes didn't work the way they should. And he was just so little to need glasses! My heart ached for him, but we quickly realized how darling he looked with his little glasses, and what a blessing it was for him to be able to have a correction, and with awesome and supportive friends and neighbors, Noah felt really cool in his new glasses.
When my father-in-law checked my eyes a few years back, he was surprised my eyes didn't hurt with the amount of reading I did. A few years later, they were hurting on occasion, and so he recommended that I just get some cheap non-prescription glasses to use while reading. So, I did. But they drove me crazy, trying to get used to them, so I stopped wearing them.
And now, a few years later, I have started wearing them when I read. Tonight, after reading to my children for fifteen or twenty minutes out of Ella Enchanted, (one of my all-time favorite books), my eyes and head were killing me. Combined with my achy back which still seems to act up even though it has been over a year and a half since the car accident, I am feeling very, very mortal.
It's strange because I am young and yet I am starting to feel like I can't always depend on my body. Simple things like reading for an hour or doing projects like cleaning the refrigerator, make me feel like my body needs time to heal from a small injury, which is an entirely foreign feeling to me.
But it also brings me to a realization that the resurrection is real. As a small child, I remember being taught about the resurrection, but it didn't seem that exciting, since my body worked perfectly. I have always been extremely healthy and taken it for granted. These experiences are helping me to appreciate the flaws in my mortal body, knowing they will be corrected someday and that I will be ever so grateful that my body will be whole and work perfectly.
No comments:
Post a Comment