Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Small Victory!

Remember the other day when I posted about our after bedtime lecture?  Well, the next night, Noah had the lesson for FHE.  He told us he was going to give us a lesson on gratitude.  It was so sweet, that as he taught us, I could tell that not only had he listened to our lecture from the night before, but it had sunk deep inside him.  It was so wonderful.  I love moments like that.  They do not come often, but they are thrilling when they do.  All those hard times are so worth it, when a child just "gets it".

The other day I read a personal experience of a woman from an old Ensign.  She talked about how she would take fifteen minutes each night to journal about a spiritual experience.  She remarked that it really opened her eyes to all the spiritual experiences she does have every day, that in the past she had passed off as coincidence or luck.

It really inspired me that I want to take moments to record the tender mercies, the tender spiritual experiences that happen every day to me as well.  It is so easy to forget if I don't write them down, and yet when I do!  I love to re-read my own journal and blog, it puts me back in the moment and I remember the emotions I was feeling at that particular moment.  I am very grateful for it as I gain new perspective from it, since I have passed that point and can more easily look back and see the blessings that came from a particular trial.

5 comments:

papa and bubby said...

I know I'm biased, but you've raised some exceptionally well behaved children as evidenced by how wonderfully they acted on our vacation. You're a great parent, I'm sure in part to your insight and honesty, as well as your love and kindness.We feel fortunate to call you a daughter-in-law!

Alyssa said...

I feel the same way about my journals Kate-- I write them for myself more than for anyone else. I learn (and relearn) so much from reading them. And, how great that you have your children giving FHE lessons. My family did that growing up, but we haven't really started that in our home yet. Good job Noah!

Kate said...

Thank you so much Papa & Bubby!

Kate said...

Alyssa- I love to read your insightful blog posts and yes, it is so cool to re-read them. Alyssa, have your kids give a lesson, you will get the biggest kick out of it, I promise. It's hilarious and so much fun!

Jena said...

Really good reminder :)