After a weekend of General Conference, I am feeling very grateful that we have a prophet of God who speaks to us and tells us what Heavenly Father wants us to hear. We have apostles and general authorities who give us words of counsel, words of wisdom. What a blessing!
I often feel like I don't remember much from Conference, I mean, with children I only hear about half of what is said. And then I probably only internalize about 10-20% of that. And really, it is a bit of a marathon, hearing eight hours of wonderful information in a span of two days! But the great thing is, it's not my only chance. I'm so glad, I will be able to go to the lds.org website and listen to my favorite talks again and again. And listen to several that I fell asleep during. (Whoops!) I told Brad on Friday night that this year I was going to go to bed at a reasonable hour and not feel guilty if I ended up falling asleep during conference, which I often do. That helped, because I did fall asleep! Another thing that helped me this year was that I was determined not to get upset at the children when they continually interrupt conference and want to talk and joke around.
It went better, overall. If I honestly evaluate the children, they are doing so much better. We really make Conference an event, where we each get to pick out a special food treat to eat during conference, I bought frozen waffles for breakfast and made the best buttermilk syrup to smother them in, and we ordered pizza for lunch (so cheap with Deal Dragon gift certificates). So, if you know us, you know that our kids are in 7th heaven, because we never do this kind of thing.
So it's fun, but it's still hard for them. And I was proud of myself (mostly) because this year I was able to see clearly that yelling at my kids to be quiet so I could hear the speaker, would cause me to lose the Spirit and then what was the point of listening? I mean, if I didn't have the Spirit, then there was no way I could recognize truth. So, that was a help. I still got annoyed at times, but I am so happy for the progress and the bigger perspective I had this year. It was good.
And I am so grateful that we can have these words to study. I really want to make a more concerted effort to study them.
No comments:
Post a Comment