Friday, March 23, 2012

One of my favorite places

 If we ever move, this beautiful library is one of the places I will miss the most.  Growing up in a small town, as an avid reader with a podunk library, I missed out on so many amazing books that I didn't even know were out there!  I vividly remember trying to find new books, but all I could find were copies of the Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley High and some ancient books that looked unappealing.  So, when I discovered the Provo Library, oh man, I went crazy reading ALL the books I'd missed out on over the past twenty years.

The library moved to what used to be the old Brigham Young Academy, a beautiful historic building.  I used to take baby Noah sometimes two or three times a week.  And now I get there at least weekly.  On average, we often have thirty or so books checked out.  I try to limit the children, but it never works!  If I do, we are always back two or three days later, wanting more books, so we just check out many, many books.  Thankfully, we have only had to replace two books over an eight year period, which is not bad considering the thousands of books we have checked out!





 We are at the library so frequently, that I finally started asking the librarians their names and we have found some wonderful friends in them.  Here we are talking to them, (they are behind the counter) It gives me a thrill that I have book loving friends, and makes me feel quite special that I am friends with the librarians. They always give me the best book recommendations!  And they are always ready with a sticker for the kids.
 I was really glad when Brad suggested that we take our weekly family photo in front of the library, since it is such a big part of our lives and I never want to forget all the fun memories we have of it.  It's like my Mom said, There is just some kind of a rush you get when you bring home a bunch of wonderful books to read!  Especially when you didn't spend an extra dime out of pocket. 

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

Oh man. You guys are amazing. I am just getting worse and worse about reading to my children. We get books about every other week, and as we are putting the books in the return chute there are always several that we realize we haven't even read. What is your secret?

me said...

That's how I remeber you most at the Chinche Street house. You were always on your bed or the couch reading!

Kate said...

Alyssa, my secret is that I don't have a new baby!