And then one night it hit me- to read the Book of Mormon in Spanish. It just felt right. Now, I have only taken one college class in Spanish, and even though my husband speaks Spanish, because of his two year mission to Guatemala, I still only know about 20 more words because of him, and probably they won't be in the scriptures.
Things like "jugo" (juice) and "juntos" (together) "leche" (milk) and the like. But I felt really excited about it. Mostly I felt that it would help me brush up on the basic Spanish I learned over a decade ago.
Armed with "El Libro de Mormon", a Spanish-English dictionary, a notebook and an English version of the Book of Mormon, I was ready to go.
Well, I quickly realized that after about 30 minutes of study, I had only gotten through one verse. Seriously. But after thinking about it, I realized that was okay. One small bite at a time.
Now, after about three weeks of this, and having completed the introduction and testimonies of the witnesses and the first chapter of 1st Nephi, I am astonished at how much I am learning. Yes, I am learning Spanish, which is great.
But man, does Heavenly Father know me well! I am not the kind to sit and ponder very often. It doesn't come naturally. I have improved, but it is not an easy task for me. But for some reason, I feel the Spirit so strong and it is so much easier for me to ponder the meaning of things when I have to look up the translation.
I have been thinking a lot about the symbolism between the Sun and the Savior. During the cold months of the year, I find myself going in the children's room, because of the direct sunlight and I lie down in the sun and just bask in the warmth and rejuvenation I feel from its rays.
As I ponder that, I realize how much I need the Savior in my life. A life without Him would truly be like a life without the sun. Bleak, cold and lifeless. But thank goodness, that His arms are outstretched to ALL who will come unto Him. And for that, I will ever be grateful for the Savior- the light of the world!
1 comment:
What a fun idea!
Post a Comment