Monday, March 26, 2012

Weekly Family Photo

A few years back, I was telling Brad about how my siblings and I would sit down with our big Art books, the kind with quality, thick white paper in it, and draw floor plans of our future homes.  Mine was always a mansion, of course, with a grand double door entrance that opened up into a fountain in the foyer.

As I was telling Brad this, it occurred to me that although it was perfectly normal for my siblings and I to sit down and draw floor plans, since our Dad is an architect, it wasn't a part of most people's childhood.  The thought made me laugh and I appreciated that my parents, who are both artistic, encouraged us to draw, as we often each had a nice quality drawing notebook, and of course, our fun FHE drawing games.  I think every person in my family was born with raw artistic talent.

It was amazing to me that after I married Brad, he surprised me in some fun and interesting ways.  I hadn't realized exactly how creative and capable he is with his hands.  Seeing some of his beautiful drawings astonished me.  I mean, how many talents did this guy have?  It was starting to feel a little ridiculous.

So, when Amalie started using ALL our printer paper on her multiple drawings, it is surprising that I was so annoyed.  We got some paper of her own, and now I can enjoy her drawings, knowing I will still have some paper left to print off things. 

It has become commonplace for her to give me her drawings and my answer is always, "Why don't you hang it up on the fridge?" I would often take a quick glance, but lately as I have found her art scattered all over the house, (as our fridge is not big enough to hold it all) I am absolutely enchanted as I find myself studying her drawings.  Somehow, she has gained a talent of being able to draw people in motion, something that I have never studied and have never had a natural talent for.  It is so fun to see her excel as she "practices" every day.

I probably need to get her an art notebook so that she can keep some of her favorites in it, and see her progression.  The picture above, I just loved.  I thought it was so fun that she drew a picture of her hand drawing a picture of our family.  How fun to see her creativity!

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

You drew houseplans, and I learned states, countries, and capitals. :) Fun to hear your family's "specialty".

I think Amalie drew Noah spot on. So fun!

Kate said...

It is fun to hear each family's unique things they learned!