Tuesday, February 28, 2012

On to Ohio!

 My parents went into the Missionary Training Center on Monday, February 20th!  We are so blessed that we live close to the MTC and have been able to send off three other missionaries!  My parents made their way up to Utah, staying with each of their children's families that lived along the way.  We got them last and were able to have some sweet moments before they left.
The day we "dropped" them off was cold!  Ian and Serena and their family, and Amy and her children came as well.  It was nice that it was not as bittersweet, knowing that Senior mission rules are much more lenient than younger missionaries rules.  Knowing I would be able to call, text, email, and even visit (!) made it a sweet send off.  I am so amazingly proud of my parents. 
 It was such a privilege for me to be raised by two, amazingly selfless people.  You don't even have to know them well to realize who they truly are and what they stand for- they show it in every action.  This means the world to me, to have parents who are willing to sacrifice two years of their lives in service to others. 

They truly understand what joy it brings to serve others.  It makes me so excited to serve a mission with Brad someday.  I mean, its kind of far away and yet I feel giddy when I think about.  It really motivates me to get my life together now!  And truly I am preparing for it, by serving my little needy children every waking hour of the day!
 Grandma and Grandpa with most of the grand kids who were there to send them off. 

It was a really special treat that we got to spend time with them on their Preparation day while at the MTC. Brad, Ian and I went with them to the Temple and then we met up with Serena and the kids and had a yummy dinner at a Mexican restaurant afterwards. 
(Is it any wonder Brad and I often share meals?  Check out that humongo burrito!)

My parents surprised us by coming by for dinner the next night. It was a little harder for my kids to say goodbye that time.


The best part is we will be going to visit them in Ohio, about half way through their mission, so that is comforting and exciting.  I don't know what I did to get such great parents, but I am ever grateful for it.  It shaped my life.  And I hope that I can honor them by doing the same with my own children.

No comments: