Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I am so blessed . . .

I get to stay home with these two little ones! 

Just a few months back, I was really having a hard time keeping an eternal perspective.  I felt so frustrated that the kids were so needy and wouldn't let me get my "to-do" list done.  Thank goodness for inspiration.  I had the thought, "Kate, they are the reason you are staying home!  You are not staying home for the laundry, or to clean the house, you made sacrifices so you could stay home to be with your children!"

It is amazing that I have to be reminded of that!  And yet, it was such a beautiful moment.  As I have prayed for help to remember that they are the most important items on my "to-do" list, I have found some wondrous help.  I have more "savoring" moments with them, and I keep thinking, "I will never get to have them like this again."

It was a pretty big blow to me that Amalie missed the Kindergarten deadline by a mere four days.  We tried to get her into the District preschool, but because it is to help children get ready for kindergarten, they told me there was no way she would get in.  The lady who tested her told me she had never seen any child do so well on the test.  Which is great, obviously, but she and I were both ready for her to start school.

My sister gave me the great idea to give Amalie a schedule, and so we did.  I had regular "school" with Amalie every day.  And for awhile, she loved it!  And then as I started working more on side projects in a concerted effort to get out of debt, our schedule fell so apart that by February, we were utterly and completely lost.  Amalie was belligerent when I would ask her to help me clean and she seemed clingier and needier than usual.

Then inspiration struck!  A schedule, my darling RED daughter needed a schedule.  I knew that if I wrote down on paper that it was cleaning time, she would do it.  I sat down and wrote out a schedule, scheduling in ample time for flexibility.  We scheduled school time and even some Mommy and Amalie time just after Gabe was put down for a nap.

I read out the schedule to Amalie and so far, it has been a roarin' success.  I stupidly realize now that my kids weren't really even being extra needy- they really did need me and not knowing when they would get me, all of me, not distracted me who can barely answer them when they ask me a question.

I can't believe what a simple solution that was! 

Not only that, but now that I have scheduled time with Ami, I actually have more time to myself.  We spend a half hour together during the first part of Gabe's nap and then she is content and I get two whole hours to myself!  How about that?

For someone who often fights against a schedule, I am certainly enjoying this one.  How is it that I seem to have more hours in the day?  Now, the trick is to use them wisely.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

This is something that I am inevitably learning and re-learning with my 'red' daughter. And, it is very timely too. Thanks for the reminder!

Sorry you're sick :( I hope it isn't my fault...

Kate said...

It's nice to understand what each other is going through. No, you didn't get me sick, it's been on and off for about three weeks now and since I stayed up so late with the ball, I think my body had finally had enough!

Jena said...

That sounds awesome!