Friday, August 29, 2008

Mr. Independence

Amalie and I were waiting for Noah when he got off the bus today. He came in my direction and I exclaimed "Hi buddy!" with a huge smile.
But Noah walked right past me.
I was flabbergasted. I knew he had seen me. He continued to walk in the opposite direction, a mean look on his face. I stared in disbelief. What in the world?
Abby, a sweetheart of a gal, and an 11 year old sixth grader who had gotten off after him called, "Noah, where are you going?"
Noah continued to walk as Amalie then called his name. "Noah! Nooooah!" She toddled after him. It was so sad as he ignored us.
He finally said "I'm going HOME!" (He screeched the last part.)
"Well, you're not going the right way," I said matter of factly.
More conversation followed and he finally stomped home in front of us. He even crossed the street and walked on the other side. He was that angry.
I asked him why he was so upset, but he wouldn't answer.
He just continued to glare at me (Me! His loving mother who has a stretch marked stomach because of him)
When we got home, the bad attitude continued. I was of course worried that kids had been mean to him on the bus or something bad had happened at school.
Thirty minutes later, he let it out. "I want to walk home by myself!" he burst out.
Yikes, it starts already.
Uh, I think I'm confused, I thought I had a Kindergartner, not a Middle School brat. (No offense to those in middle school, you can't help it, you just are.)
I explained to Noah in plain terms about why I didn't feel comfortable letting him walk home by himself. We'll see how next week goes . . .

4 comments:

lynn said...

I guess he figures if you are big enough to go to school without your Mom you are big enough to walk home by yourself. Too bad we don't live in a safer world. I loved the way you wrote about that but he won't truly appreciate all you do for him until he is a parent. He may never appreciate the sacrifice of stretch marks!

me said...

Hey Kate, are you going to be doing any volunteering in his class? Perhaps if you can, you will be a big hit with other kids in the class and then ofcourse if the kids at school think your great than perhaps you'll be cool enough to walk home with.

Kristi said...

That's hilarious and heartbreaking all at the same time! I'm glad he finally let you know what was bothering him, being in the dark as a parent is the worst.

papa and bubby said...

Well, upon reading your story, we realized why Noah reacted so negatively to a conversation Papa and I were having with Noah this morning on the telephone.
Papa asked Noah, "Do you remember what your new baby cousin's name is?" Noah didn't say anything. Papa asked him again.Noah replied "Don't tell me! I don't want any help!" You could hear Noah struggling with his memory. I piped up "It rhymes with Barker!"
I shouldn't have said that because Noah wouldn't say another word and promptly told Papa that I was banished from the "Kids Only" store. ( For those of you who don't know,The Kids Only store is a project that Noah and I have
discussed now for months.Noah is the idea man,Papa is the money man,and I am the supplier of merchandise.)
Noah was just trying to do something all by himself, like walking home! I'm sure as he becomes more sure of himself he will communicate better, so hang in there, Mom! Like Papa says, he's just being a little boy!