Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Squash Weed

Now I know why they call it a squash plant. It squashes out all the other plants around it. I only planted two squash plants, one zucchini, and one yellow crookneck, and yet now I have FIVE! How did that happen?

They steamrolled my bell pepper, cucumber and sweet peas. My tomatoes are making it, kind of. I have gotten a few, but still . . . Why does the squash plant need so many leaves? It forms this jungle canopy to protect its fruit, which even though we have so many plants, we have only gotten a total of five or so, in about three weeks. I keep cutting the leaves back, but every day it grows back. Incredible!

But at least we have yummy zucchini and yellow squash. My favorite is the yellow squash, I sautee it with maragarine and salt and pepper, it's delicious. I ate a big old three pounder all by myself for dinner one night without even realizing it. Sooooo good!

It's so nice to have a yard where I can grow a small garden. Next year, I am only planting one squash plant!

No comments: