Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Education Week- Part One

When it was announced in Church that Education week was coming up, I didn't think much of it. But the more I thought about it, I realized that I kind of wanted to go. As soon as I thought this, all the barriers and reasons why I shouldn't came to mind: I don't have money to go, I don't have anyone to watch my kids, I shouldn't be going when Brad is trying to find a job, it's selfish, etc. But, even with all those barriers, my desire to go increased.

So, I knelt down and asked Heavenly Father to provide a way that I could go if He wanted me to. I mentioned it to my Mom and suggested that she and my Dad come up and go with me. She thought that sounded like a good idea, but was a little skeptical since my Dad had taken a week off work recently to go with the Scouts on a High Adventure.

I didn't think they would come (since I knew my Dad had a lot of work), but I still wanted to go, and was thinking that maybe I could get the gals from my Babysitting Co-op to help me out with my kids. I still didn't know how I would get the money. I felt like I should email my Mom and I did, mentioning that I still wanted to go to Ed. Week even if they weren't coming.

That night my sweet Dad called telling me that while they couldn't come up, they wanted to sponsor me, so I could go. They had remembered the wonderful times they had in the past. Education Week is a program put on by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It is a week long program with classes from everything from "Becoming a Better Parent" to "Understanding Real Estate Investments" to "Jesus Christ: The Perfect Leader" to "Folk Dancing" and everything in between. It is held at Brigham Young University and people come from all over the United States to attend. They usually get at least 20,000 people! It is all about lifelong learning and educating yourself to be a better person.

I had gone twice before, once when I was 14 and again when I was 21 and knew it is a huge spiritual boost!

I was so excited I could go! (Thanks Mom and Dad!) and then my friends were able to babysit. Everything was in place.
The night before my first class, I was looking at the schedule to see which class I wanted to attend since there were more than twenty options every hour. Even though I had looked at the schedule numerous times before, there was one I had not noticed before that stood out and I knew I needed to go. It was called "Look Up, Reach Out, Hold On: Letting the Lord lift you when you feel like you are sinking"

With our financial situation right now, I definitely feel like I am sinking. Brent Top was the speaker and he talked about a difficult time in his life when he was called to be a mission president and with all the problems and responsibilities, he reached a point where he was so overwhelmed he couldn't even get out of bed. His wife held him and comforted him and said these simple words: "Focus on Christ", which he had told others many times in the past, but had special meaning at that moment and he knew that was what he needed to do. It is so true! That is what I need to do too.

All through the class I kept feeling the love of my Father in Heaven. I realized that because Brad does not have a job, I was feeling unloved. It was hard to admit to myself because I KNOW that Heavenly Father loves me, but I didn't FEEL it. But at that moment, I did. I knew that He wanted me there at that time so I would know that He loves me and knows me by name. He knows all my needs and wants, and I need to trust in Him. Even though this last eight months has been so painful, I know that adversity can shape us to be more like our Father in Heaven and I truly am grateful. I need it! If I did not have struggles in my life, I would not grow. I would not draw closer to my Father if all was well all the time. Unfortunately, I am a selfish mortal and have to be compelled to my knees before I plead with the Father for help.

It was wonderful to be reminded of the basic things I need to do. The next class was also wonderful and after that I went to a devotional by one of the Twelve Apostles, Robert D. Hales. He talked about lifelong learning-it was beautiful. Leaving campus that day, my spirit felt so lifted and I was grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who prepared a way for me to go.
http://www.byub.org/edweek/archive.asp
Above is a link you can go to to watch selected talks from last years Education Week! Yes, you can do it from the comfort of your own home!

2 comments:

me said...

Kate, first off how wonderful of your parents. There are no other two people on this earth like them. Or maybe I should say I know no one else on this earth, personally, like them. I aspire to be like your parents. Secondly, although we are not in your situation ( 8 mos with no job) I can totally understand the whole unloved feeling. We have been trying to move Dave up in his career and with out going into detail it's just not happening. So I have felt as if Dave is unloved and I am unloved and my family is unloved. Ofcourse that whole feeling of it being a righteous desire and why won't Heavenly Father answer our prayer and you know, yada, yada, yada. So I am so happy to read your blog this morning and THANKYOU for being willing to share personal feelings, wether your proud of them or not, with your readers. I was just thinking yesterday of how ungrateful my thoughts have been because I do have soooooooo much to be thankful for. Life is good, but for some reason I struggle to be content thinking if this or that would happen I would be content instead of accepting what is and remembering the whole plan of happiness and why I'm here in the first place.

Mom of 7 said...

It's amazing how the Lord works. May the Lord continue to bless and comfort you in your life.