Thankfully, I have learned a little bit about myself and my family, and this year was my best mother's day yet. I'm the type of person who loves to plan out every detail of what I think would be fun and relaxing- I don't really like surprises, unless it's something like, "Surprise, I cleaned the kitchen!", and so I have finally learned to simply ask for what I want, rather than wait for my family to figure it out. I asked Brad if he would mind watching the kids on Saturday so I could go shopping with my sis in law, Serena.
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed shopping. It's probably been a year and a half since I had money to buy myself some new clothes and it was heavenly, especially since Brad sent me out the door with some mother's day cash- he knows me so well! (I prefer money over presents, which makes Brad sad sometimes. He wants to pick out presents for me, but I have always enjoyed picking out my own.) I just realized that probably comes from the fact that I like to have control over every aspect of my life- not a great trait for going with the flow with all the changes that occur in the journey of motherhood.
Anyhow, my sis in law is the perfect person to go shopping with. She doesn't settle for anything that doesn't look great, and she knows all the stores to go to. It was awesome. Four hours later, I had a few new things that made me feel beautiful and feminine.
That night, I had planned out a special mother's day date out with Brad. I'm finding it funny as I write, that my idea of a good mother's day is spent largely without my children. I suppose my take on it is that this is a day when the mother is pampered and is honored for the day to day responsibilities and as a celebration gets a well deserved break.
Our date was fabulous. A few days earlier, I'd had to get out of the house since the carpets were being cleaned. I didn't have errands to run, so I decided to drive around town and try to find a free way to enjoy our beautiful Utah Lake. (The side of the lake we live on is largely surrounded by farmland and is mostly inaccessible. The part that is closest to us and accessible, you have to pay to get in.)
Well, I found it! I surprised Brad and didn't tell him about my discovery, just simply directed him where to drive and he realized what it was when we started to get close.
The view is just breathtaking, and there are even picnic tables, so someday we can come back and eat and enjoy the view. I wish you could see this panoramic view- the lake on one side and the majestic Rocky mountains on the other. Simply paradise. I love where I live!
The view in front of me was pretty awesome too. I'm so glad I married a goofy guy- he makes life so much fun.
And apparently he has talents in the modeling department as well.
We even saw some pelicans! I felt sad that Amalie missed it since she has a great fascination with bird watching as of late (she's even hung up a bird feeder that we fashioned out of a milk carton and recently bought a hummingbird nectar feeder with her own money.)
When we first arrived at the trail, I was stoked there was only one other person around. We soon found out why- the entire trail was lined with these bugs hovering above. We would run to get away, but they seemed to follow us! Finally we sat down, and they seemed to leave us alone (for the most part).
For the next part of my date I really wanted to go to Creativity- it's a darling art studio where you paint ceramic pieces, and then when you are done, they glaze and fire them for you. Amalie has been taking art lessons there and the week before I had sat and watched her lesson. My mind whirled with possibilities as I slowly walked around the room, studying the pieces on display. I felt a yearning to create, to use that part of my brain. It was like a hunger that needed to be filled. So, Brad and I each painted our own plates. I had decided that this plate would be experimental and I would start with the back, to hopefully give myself enough time to paint and see what I liked and what I didn't, before ruining the front. I copied a bunch of different techniques I saw around me, and even added some of my own ideas.
We were there almost three hours, and the time flew by. It was so absolutely enjoyable and soothing. And even though it's kind of expensive, I've just got to go back. (Brad mentioned he heard someone say it was cheaper than therapy.) Well said!
I woke up the next day bright and early, went downstairs to read my scriptures; the sunlight streaming in through the window. It was a heavenly start to the day. One by one, my children wandered downstairs to find me and receive their morning hug. They remembered immediately that it was mothers day and wished me a Happy Mother's Day. That in itself surprised me, but I guess my kids are getting older and I am finding there are so many wonderful benefits to that! They wanted me to open the presents they had for me. It was so sweet! Amalie had bought me a tool for making designs in fondant and a Godiva dark chocolate raspberry filled bar. (The chocolate bar says she really knows me!) She also made me about six different mother's day cards. Awwww. And then Noah had bought me a beautiful necklace and a snickers bar. I felt so loved knowing they had spent their precious money on me, and were happy to do so and so excited to see my reaction.
When the children fought loudly at church over who would get to sit by me and we ended up with one child in tears, I promised myself I would not get mad. Yes, I had to pray for a good ten to fifteen minutes in my head, and have Brad switch places with me, so no one could sit by me, but I did it. That might be one of the first times. Yay for motherhood victories!
I have to admit, wearing a new dress and an orchid corsage from my mother in law really helped my attitude. I felt beautiful and special and that I mattered. I usually don't take the time to pamper myself, so it was wonderful to feel so special.
I felt so loved and honored on Mother's Day. It was amazing. And the funny thing was, the biggest difference between this year and the nine years in the past, was my expectations and my willingness to ask kindly for what I knew would help me feel appreciated.
They were always willing to give, but I guess I thought they should know me well enough to know what I wanted. I could be sad about the years in the past, knowing I made myself miserable, but I'm not going to be. I'm just happy I am finally learning these things about myself.
I am so grateful for mothers. Especially my own. It's obvious to see how many STELLAR mothers there are out there- you can see it in the people you meet. The kindness and compassion employed even by strangers, shows me there are wonderful mothers across the entire world.
So, thank you. And to all my family and friends, I hope you had a wonderful mother's day and felt honored and appreciated. And if you didn't get a new dress this year, I hope it happens for you next year! (Seriously, it was so fun.)
3 comments:
I love your new dress! It does look smashing on you. Glad you could have the Mother's Day you always wanted too. I think you are a Stellar Mother too!
I just finished reading your wonderful account of visiting your parents in Ohio. Kate, thank you for letting us peek into your life! I love the corsage and the dress! How pretty you are. You never take a bad picture! And you are a fabulous mother! ( daughter-in-law, too!)
Thanks, Mary for your kind words!
Post a Comment