I had an epiphany last night as I was praying to overcome my compulsive eating. I seem to be in tune with my body most of the day, but when night comes, and the stresses of dinner, clean up and bedtime are upon me; I find myself eating until I am super uncomfortably full. I hate that feeling. And even worse, I hate knowing I am abusing this wonderful body entrusted to me by my Father in heaven.
I have prayed about this issue many times and each time I have had a peaceful feeling that I will overcome this particular weakness. That feeling has buoyed me up when I find myself falling over and over again. And then last night I had a wonderful epiphany.
I was stressed last night and being ornery with the children and even Brad, and felt that I needed to write in my journal, which I hadn't done for a week. I have discovered that I am a "writer" which has nothing to do with being published but everything to do with the fact that I have to write to figure out all my thoughts and feelings that seem to be in a big jumbled mess until I write them down. It always gives me a clearer perspective and I feel like I can breathe easier. It's not that I necessarily "want" to write, I have to write, or I feel as though I will explode with all those thoughts, emotions and feelings all floating around, looking for a place to land.
After writing in my journal and saying a prayer to understand what it was my spirit needed in that moment to gain strength to be around my family again, I had a clear thought that the times I overeat are when my spirit needs "food."
Wow. I sat in awe as I twirled this thought around in my mind and pondered upon it and the implications of this truth.
How powerful that knowledge is to me! I don't feel that I am in tune with my spirit and what its needs are. I try to feed it with all the Sunday school answers, but as far as me personally? I am still learning what my particular needs are. But to know that when I feel like shoving food in my mouth, I can simply stop and take a moment to be introspective; to pray and try to understand what it is at that moment my soul needs. I forget at times that my spirit is a living thing and I must keep it nourished, the nourishing that I as an individual need. I feel so empowered to overcome this weakness!
I know it will be a process to become in tune with the needs of my spirit, and of course, my needs will change depending on the season of life I am in, but in this instance, knowledge is power. I can overcome this, I finally know how.
1 comment:
Like :)
Post a Comment