Friday, May 17, 2013

Advice to myself

Last night as I wrote my To- Do list for the next day, I wanted to give myself a few words of wisdom to remember in the heat of the moment.  As I started writing to myself, it was like my pen had a mind of its own and would not stop:

SMILE
Go with the flow
Enjoy your kids
*Listen*
Praise them and look for the good.
Be grateful-
and thank your Father in Heaven
OFTEN.
Enjoy the journey.
Trials will pass,
life will be sweeter
you will be better,
stronger,
immovable in your faith.
Your love for your family will grow.
You will be thankful things happened the way they did.
Praise God every day.
Take quiet times to just listen, to ponder, to pray,
to think about your children and your husband.
Savor them and enjoy them.
Live life like you mean it
and have fun every day
and giggle, even at the silliest and stupidest things.
Sing often,
Sing loud
Sing soft
but just sing.
Don't forget how much you love it.
Say your prayers
and don't forget you're praying to your Father
who sees everything
and knows you better than you know yourself.
Listen to your body;
when it tells you to rest
or not rest
or to eat
or not to eat
It will not let you down if you listen to your needs.
Drink lots of water
and smile at yourself in the mirror
and then say, "I love you,"
and "I love who you are becoming,"
and someday you will mean it.
And as you love yourself,
 you will love others more deeply
and be less judgemental and more patient.
You will change;
your heart will be softer,
full of gratitude and thanks to those around you.
Pay your tithing with a smile,
Be generous in your fast offerings
and don't ever forget
how it felt to wonder
how you would feed your children.
Remember
how every day, and week and month
miracles happened
on your behalf so that you had groceries.
Don't ever forget how it felt.
So, keep journaling and re-reading your journal
and share it with others as you feel prompted;
especially your husband and your children.
 
 
It's interesting that when I wrote this down, it seemed to etch itself in my brain, and I felt that I was able to follow at least some of my own advice the following day.  Now, if I can keep remembering these things, and really implement them, I can really grow.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

This is beautiful Kate. It just flows like a poem.

I also have a list of mantras that I wrote on a similar, spur of the moment-type occasion. I keep it on my bedside table and read it each morning. As I was reading yours I couldn't help but notice that you and I have a a lot of similarities on our list "Smile", "Listen to others", "Enjoy your children in this moment" and "Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are satisfied" are just a few of them. However, you have much more focus on faith. I have always admirede that about you. Thanks for the reminder that I should add a few lines :).

Kate said...

Alyssa,
I love your idea to keep it on your bedside table and read it each morning! Thanks for the fab idea. It's not surprising that we have so many of the same things, since you are a mother I watched for years and highly admire. You have so many qualities I hope to emulate. Love you!