Thursday, May 2, 2013

Amazing Ohio Trip: Day 1, April 24, 2013

Flying by myself with older kids was so much easier than when I had less children who were younger and needier.  I feel that we are getting to a stage where going places and doing things is a lot easier than it used to be.  I am thoroughly enjoying it.  It also helps that I have been praying to be able to go with the flow.  I enjoy having complete control over my situation and circumstances, but that attitude doesn't mesh well with motherhood-things are always changing and throwing curve balls at you- and now that I can finally wrap my mind around that, I am really enjoying motherhood on a deeper level from moment to moment.
 
 Our first day in Ohio was lovely.  My parents gave up their lovely, sparkling clean, natural light filled bedroom to me, wanting me to have privacy and a space to be alone when I needed it.  They know me so well!  I felt awful, but they wouldn't take no for an answer. I have to say I loved waking up and being able to say my prayers and read my scriptures without interruption, knowing my kids were being taken care of by my parents.  Brad had expressed concern over me being by myself with the children over this trip, not wanting me to be too stressed, and I reminded him that my parents would be with me everyday and that life would likely be much easier than at home during the day.

 I was right, the ratio of adults to children was 1:1, which was absolutely lovely.  My parents are the kind who just step in and help when there is a need and so it was a relaxing and refreshing vacation for me.  We started the day out by helping at this little non-profit charity called "Hannah's Socks" where they collect new socks to give to homeless shelters and the like.  The children LOVED helping, and I loved seeing a place where my parents get to serve.  It was really fun! Then we headed over to a children's discovery museum, called the Imagination Station.  The children fell in love . . .
Noah enjoyed the wind machine.

 And running from display to display, trying almost everything.  He is a really fun boy whose excitement is contagious and enjoyable to watch.




Amalie really enjoyed the doctors office- she and Noah were having a blast in there and it was so much fun to watch!  She really latched on to my mom and forged quite a wonderful bond.

They had this cute little area called Kidspace where there was a little doctors office, a small house, a tree house, a grocery store and a fire truck and fake fire to put out.  Gabe fell in love . . .I finally had to drag him kicking and screaming out so I could meet up with the rest of the crew.  But man, it was so nice that each of the kids had an adult, so they could each explore where they wanted.  I loved watching Gabe play- I could just see his beautiful imagination working as he sat in the fire truck, or pretended to fix the sink (like he had seen his Daddy do the month before)  He wanted me to play with him as well and we just had the sweetest time.




I loved watching him play with these babies in the "nursery". 

After several hours of fun, we headed over to the Institute of Religion class that my parents teach to the young single adults in Toledo.  I was going to teach that night and I was really excited and a little nervous.  But everything went so great, I got to meet the students, it's a small class of only 2, but they are awesome.  I felt that the things that needed to be taught were said.  It was so satisfying and humbling.

What a great day we had!

1 comment:

Grammy Staffy said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip. How nice that you can visit your sweet parents while they are serving in Ohio. Enjoy every minute. Hugs