Our last day in Ohio. I was grateful that when this day came, I felt a deep gratitude that we'd had seven wonderful days together. I was, of course, sad that I was leaving but I felt satisfied with the time we'd had. The trip was perfect, even better than I'd expected. The kids bonded with their grandparents. I bonded with my parents. We explored new and beautiful places. We had lots of time for talking and playing games. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and completely. I felt so grateful to go home on such a high note.
For our last hurrah, my parents took us to Sidecut park, which was hands down the MOST beautiful city park I have ever been to. This place was huge- acres and acres of beautiful trees, green grass, a river running through it and flowing out into a beautiful pond. I could have easily stayed there for hours and hours, reveling in the peaceful feeling that only comes from being one with nature. There was a bird sanctuary where you could go inside and watch the birds without scaring them away. Amalie was fascinated. Ever since she started Kindergarten in the fall, she has a thirst for knowledge. She wanted to know all of the birds names, and when she would spot one, it was pure delight. What a joy to be around! She is a great example to me about how to savor life.
We walked through the park, playing on the stone bridges, studying the old canal locks, and ending up at the pond, where I just sat and soaked in my surroundings. It was like my soul could finally breathe pure air. We saw Canadian geese and all sorts of different birds than we see around here. We even saw a bright red cardinal! It was brilliantly beautiful. Fish jumped out of the water, trying to catch bugs, and everywhere there were hints that Spring had begun and would soon have hold over the world.
Ahhhhh. I feel relaxed just thinking about it. I wanted to stay there all day, but the children were bent on finding the playground. So off we finally went and let the children play for a little longer before we had to head up to the airport in Detroit.
I wish I had more pics but my camera battery died and I brought the wrong charger!
What a wonderful, amazing trip we had. Such a blessing to have a family who loves me unconditionally. Who cries when I leave and thanks me over and over for coming. How blessed I am to have a family like that. What did I ever do to deserve such a family? I don't know, but I am going to do everything in my power to repay my parents back by raising my children to be the best they can be. That's the only gift I can give them that would suffice for the gift they gave me.
When we finally arrived at the Salt Lake Airport, an hour later than intended, we were wiped. The two littlest were sleeping and Noah's shoulders were hurting him since he had been helping me with the luggage. I just sat on the airplane, trying to work it out in my mind how we were going to get out of the airport with all our luggage and two car seats, on to the shuttle, and safely to my car that I had left in the long term parking lot.
I called Brad to let him know we would be home later than expected and he said the most wonderful thing.
He was there at the airport, waiting at the gate for me. Can you even imagine the love I felt from my husband, who drove all the way to the airport to help me get the luggage and children to the car? Even though I already had a way home, he wanted to make m life a little easier. I was overwhelmed with love for this thoughtful husband who had missed us so much that he would perform this wonderful act of service that meant the world to me.
Everyone else was already off the plane when I tried to wake the children up. They each had backpacks stuffed fuller than when we'd left and little Gabe looked like he might fall over backwards at times from the heavy weight of his little backpack. Amalie was crying as she had gotten motion sickness on the plane and combined with the fact that it was almost 10 o clock at night, was feeling quite awful.
But as soon as she saw her Daddy standing at the gate, her face lit up and she ran to greet him. It was the sweetest thing to witness. The children's faces changed from weary and tired to pure joy and they jumped into their daddy's arms and he swung them around.
Man, I am so grateful for this man! He made what could have been a very stressful night; a sweet and wonderful night to remember.


2 comments:
The Brad part made me tear up. I LOVE hearing about selfless hubby's. He could have just as easily had a few more hours to himself before you all got back home but he CHOSE to come be with you and help. I seriously LOVE this! I'm glad you had an amazing trip. I read all the posts and it looks lovely. We have an Amish community not too far from our home as well. Pretty neat.
Thanks for your comment Salena!
Post a Comment