Wednesday, May 12, 2010

8 months and crawling


Baby Gabe- All of a sudden, your development has seemed to happen in leaps and bounds. I thought you would be crawling all over the place by now, as you have been getting in crawling position for over a month now, but it wasn't until two days ago that you actually started really crawling. I clapped and cheered when you were done, so you decided to give me an encore, you little cutie. (You can only travel a few feet at this point, I am hoping in a few weeks, you will be all over the place.)
You found a crumb and you are trying to pick it up!
The next morning, Amalie went in to greet you and said "Mom! Gabe's standing up!" I was in the hallway still and couldn't see you. I was sure she was mistaken, since you had never stood up on your own. "You mean he's sitting up," I corrected.

Then I walked into the room and saw you grasping the top railing with one hand and grabbing onto a spindle with the other. You seemed to be having a difficult time standing up with support, your little bum was sticking way out to counterbalance, and you were wailing away- trying to communicate to us that it was time to get you out of your daytime prison! You looked so cute. Amalie and I cheered and exclaimed over you. That seemed to make you stop crying right away. You had fun, standing, holding onto the couch- until I noticed you had grabbed some stuffing out of one of the many holes and shoved it in your mouth.

Then yesterday, I saw you dancing for the first time- it was an adorable little bounce wiggle, where you bounced your torso up and down in a somewhat jerky manner. It is so fun to see you grow!

Your top two teeth completely broke through a few weeks ago, which has really helped in the sleep department. But then of course, you got a cold . . . I think it will always be something, huh?

You seem to have found your voice as well. I'm not sure if it's because you are sick, but you whine and shriek now when you are upset. It's such a pleasant sound. (Not!) But I still love and adore you.

You are eating a bunch of adult foods: Cheerios, bread, bananas, pears, grapes (without skin), noodles, cheese, juice, quesadillas, mac & cheese, eggs, avocado, crackers. And of course, baby food. You can even feed yourself. You don't quite have the pincer grasp yet, you have more of an advanced raking movement. You are able to pick up, but if it is a tiny piece, like a Cheerio, you have a hard time getting it in your mouth. (A long piece of bread works well) You love everything!! From pureed peas to squash to avocado. There is nothing you have ever turned down. You also just gained the ability to feed yourself a bottle, which is nice since I usually give you one bottle a day.

When you first started eating, we really had an awful time with you being extremely constipated, so we tried to feed you a lot of foods that naturally act as laxatives, now we have an opposite problem and I am changing your stinky diaper anywhere from 6 to 8 times a day!! So now, I need to feed you some foods that are naturally constipating.

The biggest change in you is that you are CURIOUS about everything. Now, when I hold you, you will get your eyes on something and you get completely engaged in it. It is wonderful, but you seem to have lost some excitement for your mother. You are constantly distracted by objects or noises. But I figured out that I can get your attention better, if you are sitting and playing with toys. You will make eye contact with me and give me a a big, beautiful, toothy smile. And that is one of the best parts of being your mom.

I love you so.

Love,
Mama

2 comments:

The Ishiis said...

Wow, he is getting so big! He even looks older! I wish I could feed Kai things, but I am scared to give him anything since he has so many food allergies.

San Diego 2-20-09 said...

Wow! I am so impressed! Eli is crawling and standing too, and it is so much fun! Don't you just love their curiosity??