Saturday, August 22, 2009

First Day in the First Grade

We love our Noah! It's hard to be away from him so long!

Amalie will miss him, but will also enjoy some alone time with her Mom and Dad.
Noah with his best bud, Eli.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about Noah going to school ALL DAY LONG! I liked Kindergarten much better when he was only gone half the day. It is so strange that my six year old is gone almost as long as my husband!

But here we are and he survived the first day. We had been talking about getting Noah an alarm clock so that he can wake up all by himself and get dressed and ready to go, but we hadn't gotten the alarm clock, so Noah was a little nervous that he wouldn't wake up.

But he did. He was so excited and ready to go that he had already packed his lunch the day before and hurriedly got ready- he asked me every five minutes how long until it was time to go. So, finally I had him put on his watch and taught him how to figure it out- he hasn't quite gotten it yet- but he will.

He was so excited for school! I was glad that he was looking forward to it. When we met up with him after school, he said "That was a lot longer than I thought!"

When we asked him what he had learned at school, he replied "Nothing. Just stuff I already know."

He did have fun at lunch and recess when he got to see his best buddies. None of his guy friends from Kindergarten are in his same class, but he is thrilled that he gets to see them at recess and lunch.

Later he said to Brad that he didn't want to go to school anymore.
(Ah, the public school system- it drives me absolutely NUTS! I hate sending him, but I don't want to homeschool with a new baby, and I'm not sure that's the solution anyway)

I like his teacher and I know that the school is doing the best they can, but seriously, Why is a six year old in school for as many hours as a high schooler? That makes no sense to me. It makes me feel as though I am sending my kid to day care and my heart just breaks thinking that he is being influenced for SO many hours by people other than myself!

4 comments:

The Mounts said...

Hi Kate!! How are you feeling?!??! I totally understand what you are saying about the long days! I am NOT looking forward to that at all. I was homeschooled for awhile and I loved it. My first year of doing it my mom had just had a baby too! Here is a link to a blog where a mom explains her homeschooling process. http://www.fairlyhappy.com/search/label/homeschool
It makes me seriously consider it! What day are you due again? Savannah asks for Amalie and Katelyn frome time to time, she misses them :)

me said...

Oh I remember how I felt with each one going into their first grade year and a full day of school. I loved the extra time to get things done but I sooooo missed them throughout the day and looked forward to pick up time!

Our cute kids said...

I understand and feel the same way, that is why before my kids leave the house we fortify them with scripture reading and prayer.

Geoff and Janene said...

I feel your pain Kate. I'm right there with you. The other day my heart broke when Megan told me she asked a little girl in class if she wanted to be friends and the girl said, "No, I already have a friend" What? I don't think I'll survive emotionally with my kids in school. Ugh.