Monday, August 3, 2009

The latest Struggle

Lately I feel like I am stuck in a horrible cycle. Ever since Noah has been out of school, we have struggled to adjust. Both of us. Noah wants to be entertained constantly and I am not used to doing that- nor do I think it's healthy for him. So, I have gotten in a bad habit of being really frustrated with him, and nitpicking and constantly correcting behavior and then once he is fast asleep, I feel guilty and realize my behavior needs to change, but stubbornly think HE should be the one to change.

Every morning I pray for patience and guidance and I have definitely seen progress, but I have been wanting more! Over the weekend, I had an epiphany that I need to look him in the eye more and really let him know that I love him and I care about what he says. It seems such a simple thing, and yet, how often I am running around the house, cleaning, cooking and trying to get tasks done, so when he talks to me, I don't want to stop and listen, I just keep going and we yell to each other from room to room. Well, it's not that I think I should always stop in my tracks, because honestly then nothing would get done, but stop a little more than I do now. So, that was a blessing to feel that guidance. Then on Sunday, after we had taken our walk at the Temple, I had put Amalie down for a nap, Brad was preparing a lesson and Noah was playing quietly with Legos- it was the perfect opportunity to read my scriptures before church. But as I sat down to read, I had the strong impression that I should go play with Noah. Well, I am not much of a playful Mom- I usually spend time with my children reading books, or snuggling, or doing chores together. So, I took my scriptures downstairs and thought "I'll read in the same room as him." But again, the impression came that I should play with him.

So, finally I closed the scriptures and started asking Noah about the Lego structures he was playing with. He told me and I tried to make more eye contact and really help him understand that I am interested in what he has to say. I found as I did that, the interest actually came- so often I feel I am faking it. Then he asked "Mom, will you play with me?"

"Sure," I said.

He didn't seem to be very surprised, which was nice, because I feel I am always saying "Yes, later."

We sat down and I asked him what he wanted me to build. He wanted me to build an airport and he would build the airplane. We had such a nice time playing and I was so glad I finally listened to those impressions!

Right as we were getting our shoes on to leave for church, Noah laid down on the floor and said "I hate church. I don't want to go."

Normally this would be the moment where I would be really frustrated, feeling like his behavior should be perfect, because I did my part, but instead I said "Sometimes I don't feel like going to church either. But I know that if we keep Heavenly Father's commandments, He has promised us that we will be happy. And you know what? Every time I do, I am happy."

Noah responded negatively by saying "I've tried it and it only makes me madder!"

Okay, so there was no reasoning with him.

"Noah, it's time to go to church," I said. I didn't feel upset at all. It was wonderful!

He got up and grudgingly walked to church. But during the meeting, he was fine and after I handed him a notebook to draw in, he would show me some of his fun drawings. Instead of constantly telling him to shush, I would look and I found myself amazed at his drawing abilities or rather progress. He was happy with my short comments and was not disruptive at all.

It was such a nice day and I guess I should learn my lesson that when I want Noah to change, it means I have to change! Surprise, Surprise! I've only learned this lesson a thousand times, how long til it sinks in? Anyway, I am so grateful that we had such a nice day. The whole day really seemed to go a lot smoother and was a lot sweeter. And I realized I actually LIKE playing Legos with my kids! How about that?

3 comments:

the mom~ said...

What an awesome story. I use to find myself in the same boat...but as Ethan gets old it makes me sad to think that one day he wont even WANT to talk to me or hang out, so i OFTEN i FIND MYSELF DROPPING THINGS to be with him for not too far down the road life will be different :(
I'm glad you are able to see this and change. What a blessing you are to him and him to you!

lynn said...

Sweet story Kate. Isn't it wonderful that the Spirit whispers such specific counsel to us? (I really like playing legoes too. Much less physically demanding than playing leap frog.)

Kristi said...

thanks so much for sharing that Kate. as i was reading it, it reminded me so much of Connor and i lately. i've decided when Connor gets up from his nap i'm going to see if he wants to play cars (he asked me all morning) instead of folding the laundry.
love you.