Thursday, August 20, 2009

Successful Sunday Walks!

I am so thrilled with our implementation of Sunday walks! So far they have been so successful!! It benefits our family in so many more ways than I realized- initially I wanted something to get the children's energy out- but it does so much more than that- it helps us get up early and get our day started and not just "waste" the day lounging around. Everyone gets dressed and ready for church, so we are basically ready many hours early, which is wonderful- no last minute stressed out running around- and it is wonderful and refreshing to be outside in the fresh air- I feel a much sweeter spirit than when I am cooped up in the house. I feel so grateful that Brad and I were inspired to implement this for our family . . . even though I know things will change when the baby comes and especially when Winter comes, but for now, it is working.
The second week we let Noah pick where our walk would be- he chose the Temple. It was so serene to walk on the beautiful grounds, with flowers everywhere.
Amalie by one of the fountains.

Our weekly family picture- one of MANY takes!

The kids showing off their bribes- this is how we get them to cooperate for family pictures every week! Lately though, we just bring a bag of snacks and they can have them AFTER we have gotten a good family picture.
I loved this picture when I saw it, because you can't tell I'm pregnant from the back! How cool is that!!
The third week, we walked by the lake- the weather was incredible- there was lots of shade and a wonderfully cool breeze. It was heavenly!

Gotta have that family picture!

Poor Amalie was walking and tripped on who knows what and skinned her face- see the red mark by her eye? Poor thing! But she sure had a good time telling everyone at church about it that day and re-enacting what had happened! (The silver lining, I guess!)

The fourth week we went to the BYU Botany Pond- it is so beautiful there! Every year they have more and more ducks- there were about a hundred, I am guessing. And boy were they hungry! Most days, they get fed so often, they could care less if you have food- but this day they followed us around, honking and begging for food. It was so funny!
This white duck was especially bold and would stay right beside Amalie, honking for food.
The kids found a variety of nuts, seeds and acorns and after they finished their snacks (or rather fed their snacks to the ducks) they used their bags to collect their treasures. It was so fun to see them discovering nature.
We opened up a piece of fruit and this beautiful nut was inside. It was especially cool because we had collected these nuts a year or so before and still have them- they look like cool pieces of wood- I had no idea that they were inside what looks like a piece of fruit.
One month to go and I am getting BIG! But I don't mind, because that means baby is growing! We are so excited to have him come. Amalie has been asking LOTS of questions about the new baby and "practicing" with a baby doll that our neighbor Shirlene loaned her. It doesn't matter that she has about six of her own baby dolls, apparently a loaner is much more interesting to play with!

2 comments:

the mom~ said...

Ok, I've wondered for a while now...but who always takes your fmaily photos? Do you have a timer or do you ask a stranger? They are always great!!!

Kate said...

Thanks Salena! We have a tripod and a timer- it only gives us ten seconds, so my hubby is always running into the picture- we do lots of takes!