I was grateful that he still had the best day. At school, they made a big deal and I made sure to tell him throughout the day how glad I was that he was born! (That was a gift handed down to me from my Mom) He got lots of extra hugs and felt so special.
So special that the next day he told me "I don't have to do chores, because it's my birthday."
Well, it was definitely a learning experience for him. He thought that since he hadn't had his birthday party with friends yet, that it was still his birthday. At bath time, he thought he should get to sit in the front, even though it wasn't his turn, he thought he should get to pick any and all movies or shows and that basically he was the King of the castle.
We had a lot of talking and explaining that went on.
Needless to say, I was glad when his birthday party with friends was over. It went really well. It was super simple and we played a bunch of games, just had a few little surprises, and then we brought out the cake that had been talked about for months. Back in November, Brad and I had seen a Luigi (from Super Mario Bros) figurine at Toys R Us and bought it for him. We decided it would be his b-day present and we would surprise him by putting it on his cake. Noah has been talking about his cake for months, and asking me to do this cake or that cake, but I continued to tell him that it was going to be a surprise and that I had something special planned.
I'm grateful that at six years old, he was not too picky about the way his cake looked. I had put it in the oven, then realized I had to take him to school. What to do? So, I turned off the oven (I know all you bakers are cringing) and came back to find two round sunken cakes. Then when I went to frost the cake, I had planned on making some extra frosting since there is never enough in those little cans for a layer cake. Well, oops, I only had a teeny tiny bit of powdered sugar-not even a cup. So I made a little with that, it was nice and goopy and then Brad and I proceeded to frost (or rather ruin) Noah's cake.
At the last minute, we put Luigi on the cake and Noah was thrilled. It's so nice that my baking efforts are still appreciated! (Hey, it tasted good.)
So after twelve days of birthday, I was a little tired from "talking" and "explaining" that it really wasn't still his birthday. And Amalie was EXTREMELY confused about when her birthday is. I'm sure she was wondering why Noah's birthday was every day!
However, I am so glad that my Noah was born six years ago. I honestly cannot imagine life without him. He brings such joy, excitement, laughter, intelligence and compassion into our lives. I feel like I discover more about him every day and it is such an enchanting journey. I feel honored to be his mother. I love you, Noah!
2 comments:
And I feel so grateful to be his Grandma. I love the fun and excitement of children's birthdays - it's just the best to have a day when you are SPECIAL!
How did you get him to be so into Mario Bros. anyway?
Post a Comment