I have several laundry questions for all you:
(Do not be afraid to post simpleton advice- believe me, I need it!)
-How do you clean men's ties?
I used to clean them with a little tide and a toothbrush, but for some reason that doesn't work anymore. The cleaner actually stained the tie. I don't want to take them to the dry cleaner, because they charge almost $4 a tie! (I have eight ties that need to be cleaned) They have been sitting around for so long that I don't even know what the stains are from. (Could be from Amalie's spit up for all I know!)
-How do you clean men's white dress shirts?
I always buy Wrinkle free and the instructions say that I can wash them, but if I do, they look trashed within a few weeks (only 2-3 wearings!) The collar gets bubbly. It is pretty cheap to take them to the dry cleaner, but I would like some other options, if I don't have time.
(BTW- I refuse to iron Brad's shirts, which is why we buy wrinkle free.)
-I think my laundry detergent is wrecking my clothes. Normally, I don't treat them, and the stains usually come out, however, lately they don't. Plus almost all of Noah's pants have torn through the knee. I just switched to Tide, so I HOPE this alleviates the problem, but general advice would be great. I wonder if it's my washer, or my detergent? What?
-Stain remover advice.
Okay, so tell me what you use to get out oil stains? I'm not sure how we get oil stains on our clothes, since we never eat fried foods and only eat salad dressing a few times a month, but that's what they look like!) Spray and wash doesn't work at all. My Mom has Soil Luv which works, but I haven't seen it up here. I bought a Stain stick, but it doesn't seem to be working.
(I do have an aversion to bleach, however.)(Serena- could you send me that recipe for getting out OLD stains? I keep forgetting to write it down)
9 comments:
Hmmmm...I take Steven's ties to the cleaners.
Steven's white dress shirts bubble to but not after a few years...we get him shirts from Penney's and he irons ALL the clothes in our house.
I use spray and wash and it gets everything BUT oil out.
I use ALL detergent, free of color, smells and anything else forgien. We have sensitive skin and it works great.
HTH-
The best stain remover is ZOUT in a red bottle. Sometimes they have it at Walmart. You may have to go to Target or Macey's to get it. LOVE IT!
dish det. (for the sink, not the dishwasher) works good on oil stains! good luck.
I think the oil stains that show up on dark clothing from out of knowwhere could be the fabric softner. I hate that. I'll be folding the darks and I'll see all these little stains. I just rewash the stuff with oxy clean. I buy Dave white oxford shirts. They are a thicker material than normal dress shirts. Get em at Walmart so I don't pay much. I bu Brendon's there too and I'll say he looks pretty sharp next to the other boys passing sacrament. His shirt always look new. I don't bother with the ties. I'll spot wipe but other than that I see no need to wash them. Oh yeah, all works great. Been using it for years and can't complain.
I also love zout. After I spray the stain I let the item sit on the dryer...waiting to be washed but not forgotten :-) for several days.
It works on almost everything!
For every day oh-my-word-what-is-on that shirt kinds of stains, I fill the washer half full, put in double the normal full load laundry soap and let it agitate for a minute or two. Then I leave it for a day, or even two. The concentrated soap does wonders! After the soak, I fill the rest of the washer, wash as usual and then double or triple rinse the load to be sure all the soap is out.
For really old stains, so gross that you can't wear the item anyway so if you ruin it it's no loss - 1 Tablespoon dishwasher soap, 1 Tablespoon baking soda and one cup of bleach to a 3/4 - full washer. This works wonders on some things and ruins others. It will compromise the fabric integrity but is worth is to me if I can save a favorite.
im glad you did this post. i can never get stains out of anything. im just enjoying all your comments. i sometimes think my washer is wrecking clothes because I always notice these small holes in fairly new clothes. i can't tell if its the machine, the soap or just the thinness of the material. either way i hate it. i hand down baby clothes to people and i always say sorry i cant get stains out but i never put dry stained stuff so it wont set the stain... usually other people get the stains out. i dont know why im so stain challenged!
My mom's mantra is "Never let a stain defeat you." Try Dawn Dish soap on stains. Put it on the stain, rub it in and let it sit for a few days. Run it through the wash as normal and most everything, especially oil based stains will come out.
Hey, who do you know in South Dakota? Just me, don't freakout. I'm visiting my Dad and had a chance to get on my brothers laptop. Wishing for a new post.
I use Tide with Bleach. It takes almost everything out.
I find if you get tide without bleach it does not work even half as well. For all other stains I refer to my friend google. Which usually has the perfect advice. I recently figured out the magic for grease on an oven....mix baking soda with lemon juice into a paste and apply with a cloth. Works Great! Apparently, for oil stains you should try rubbing some absorbent powder on the stain like baby powder.
Post a Comment