Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bedtime and "It has to do with kissy"

Tonight was the first time in a looooooooooooooooong time that I didn't feel stressed out during bed time. I implemented new incentives to help my children (namely, Noah) not to dawdle. I made a spinner (well it will be someday) with incentives and then told Noah he has to beat the timer in order to "win" one of these fabulous prizes.
Which are:

1 extra book
Tickle Time (both my kids are CRAZY ticklish, I love it)
Talking Time
Short Game (like one hide and seek)
Criss Cross (the ol' back tickle)

These are the conditions:
-Get pajamas on in under four minutes
-Brush teeth thoroughly for one minute. (we'll work up to two)
-Reverence during scriptures and prayers.
-Clean room in 5 minutes. (time changes accroding to mess)

Noah was really excited! I gave him four minutes to get dressed and he was ready in ONE. I didn't know he had it in him. Usually I threaten and "finally" give him three minutes to get dressed "or else" and he still doesn't follow through. And I never know how to punish him. I used to take away books, but that was way back when I had the energy to read him 5 books. Now, they only get one each. (Some nights it's only a board book)

So tonight was wonderful.

He brushed his teeth for the full time.

He was reverent during Scripture reading and prayers and even sang the song!

Amalie even caught on and was so sweetly reverent. She folded her arms so gently and was quiet the whole prayer. (A real miracle!) I love this!

I have no idea if this will last, but tonight was heaven. It all started when I complained to my Mom about my bedtime woes and she had the idea of positive incentives, instead of punishment. I like it.

So, I was actually smiling and calm by the time they were in their beds and my chest didn't feel tight and constricted like it normally does. Noah had picked "Talking Time" for one of his incentives.

He said "I had a GREAT recess." A huge smile graced his beautiful face.

"Why?" I asked.

Suddenly he looked embarrassed and said "I'm not telling you."

"Why?" I asked again.

"Because it has to do with kissy."

Oh my goodness, I thought. The kid is only in kindergarten. But then I remembered how utterly innocent he still is and how I had seen a little girl in his class tease a boy by pretending to kiss him and I relaxed. I mean really, what am I even complaining about? By the time I got to Kindergarten, I thought chasing boys and kissing them was immature. You know, been there, done that. (My Mom tells stories of me kissing the neighbor boy when I was only 3! Poor Mom)

So I pestered and pleaded and cajoled him to tell me. I guessed many scenarios, hoping if I was right, I would see it on his face. No such luck. Of course, he just clammed up even more. Finally I said "If you tell me, I'll give you a piece of candy tomorrow." (Because he had already brushed his teeth)

And he still wouldn't tell me! I was DYING to know!

So, I had to act nonchalant. "Okay, you don't have to tell me," I said. "But I need to go to bed, so if you want to, you can get out of bed and tell me." (Which is a huge incentive, because he knows he is only allowed to get out of bed if he has to go to the bathroom)

I kissed him and headed for the door.

"I just hope Oakleigh doesn't do it again," he said. Little hint dropper. That was actually a big hint, since I know little Oakleigh from helping out in his class.

I walked out the door and a while later he came in my room and told me that Oakleigh (an adorable girl in his class) had tried to kiss all the boys in the class.

I wasn't all that surprised, seeing as SHE was the little girl who was using her lips as a weapon the other day. She kept making kissy faces at Noah's friend, and the friend would freak out and she loved it. She is definitely the attention seeker and loves to tease. (Sound familiar, anyone?)

Anyway, I think Noah secretly liked it, if the tiny smile on his face was any indication. Or he was at least flattered by it. Oh man, this Kindergarten stuff is more dramarama than I bargained for! I love my little Noah.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Such a great post :-) Ahhh, we must learn to enjoy the journey, the pj's and the kisses. You're a wonderful mom!

Mom of 7 said...

Great night time incentives. I love that he chose talk time. That a bonus for both of you. You are doing a great job!

lynn said...

Kate, that was hilarious! Thanks for the best laugh I've had all week. I'm so glad the bedtime routine was so amazingly successful. You are the best writer!!
Mom

Kristi said...

That is such a great story and a GREAT idea about the incentives. I'm going to tuck that one away for a future date.