Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Child's Perspective


Last night I made soup and cornbread to complement the rainy day. I was making the soup and cornbread at the same time and trying to quickly clean the dirty house and finish up the piles of laundry.

When I pulled the cornbread out of the oven, I was pretty disappointed. I had used a bigger pan than normal and it had spread out and was much flatter than I anticipated. After cutting into it, I realized it didn't look normal. I took a taste, and it was fine, except for the texture. So, I cut it into neat rectangles and plated it. I put it on the table, then ran back to my recipe book to see if I had missed any ingredients. I was sure I had followed the recipe exactly.

Well, I had somehow left out the leavening ingredients, baking powder and salt.

As we sat down to eat, I laughed about my flat cornbread. I was bummed that it hadn't turned out right, but it was also pretty funny.

"Mom, that is so cool!" Amalie exclaimed, pointing to the rectangular pieces of cornbread.

"Yeah, look at the perfect rectangles," Noah said.

They sincerely thought it was awesome and were not trying to make me feel better. And it tasted good, although the texture was different. I just appreciated the children's perspective so much. It's nice to know that a mess-up, when looked at with a different perspective, can actually be kind of cool.

1 comment:

Lauren's mom or Lauren's dad said...

Isn't it nice to have tose positive comments? Enjoy their sweetness because sometimes teenagers can be brutal with their words. P.s. Don.t use Marie Callendars mix. I just made some thinking to spend more and get better. Way crumbly. Your's sounds yummy.