Monday, April 11, 2011

19 months

Dearest Gabriel,
Oh my goodness, I can't get over how much I adore you. You are so full of life and vigor. You have the best sense of humor- you do things you think are absolutely hilarious and then you look at us and crack up laughing, as if to say "Isn't that sooo funny? Come on, let's laugh together."

A miracle occurred today. One that I hope happens again and again and will eventually turn into a habit. A couple months ago, I bought you a potty seat and some potty treats just to get you used to sitting on the toilet. The first time you sat on it, you cried so hard and almost fell off, since you were trying so hard to get off. So, I started putting you on in the morning and at night, or whenever I took off your diaper, only to get you used to the toilet. Candy quickly gave you the incentive not to cry. Lately, you have been pointing at your groin if you have gone number 2 in your diaper and you tug at the sides. So, I always know when you need a fresh diaper. Today, you were pointing at your diaper, but I didn't smell anything and you were sitting on my chest- if ever I lie down, you take it as your cue to jump on me. So, I wondered what you were trying to communicate. Then you went over to the dresser and I saw a look of concentration on your face. I whisked you up, hoping you had not released it all, put you on the toilet and of course, you got upset. After a lot of coaxing and a little praying, I left the room. You immediately stopped crying and by the time I came back, you had left a little present in the toilet. Hooray! (I guess you just needed a little privacy, huh?) I gave you two pieces of candy, shouted hooray and took you outside as a special treat. I was so stoked that a baby so young could communicate the need to use the toilet. (Please, please, continue this pattern!)

It's funny that you are able to communicate so much, and yet you hardly use words. You know "ball" and "car" and "this" of course, and the other day you came in to wake Daddy and I up (Noah had gotten you out of your crib) and we kept trying to get you to say "Da-Da" and you were trying to be funny, so you kept saying "Mama" in response and cracking up, as if to say, "Aren't I so funny?" Yes, you are a delight, it's true. We try to get you to say words, and for the most part, you are trying, but there are a lot of sounds you just don't seem to be able to make yet. I try to get you to say "Please?" when you want something, because you like to say in a harsh voice, "Ma! Ma!" when you want something, so we ask you to say "Please," and you say, "SSss?" Well, good enough for me. At least you are trying. I was trying to get you to say "Poo" so you could tell me when you are going to have a BM and you said "Boo" so proudly that I had to praise you. You do say "Yes" very clearly but it seems to have about five different meanings to you. You will have this funny look as you go towards the computer and look at me and say, "Yes?" And of course, I say "No," and then your eyebrows scrunch up in a mad face and you go ahead and do it anyway. You love hats. Love them so much, you grab them off Daddy's head and put them on your own. So when I am doing laundry, you almost always grab Amalie's clean underwear and hold it up to your head and in your own non verbal way "ask" me to put it on you. So I put it on your head, and you look pleased as punch. I turn away and laugh. You give me such a good laugh all the time.

You also fuss a lot more. I guess you think it will get you some attention? Or maybe it's because there are so many things off limits?

I don't know, but I do know, you are such an amazing addition to our family. I am amazed at the love I feel for you. Here you are, with two suckers in your mouth. Whenever we go shopping at Macey's, you always get a little Dum Dum sucker and someone (not sure who) gave you two. So funny!

Your appetite has not decreased. I am stunned at how much you can pack away in your little body. You can go long periods without food and then you just pack it away. The other day we went to In-N-Out and bought you a hamburger. We had it made just the way Daddy likes it, because we figured you would only eat a portion and then Daddy could have the rest. Well, we didn't figure you would eat everything but one bite! Yikes! (Noah did eat one bite and you dropped a small piece of bun on your lap) You also had eaten fries as well. Brad and I just sat stunned. How could a little one and a half year old eat a whole burger!? Although you are tall for your age, which is fun for us . . . most of the time.

Except for on General Conference Sunday when you brought a big butcher knife into the living room. Brad yelled to me, "Kate! Look!" You are so tall, you can reach things on the counter, if I don't push them all the way back. Yikes! I am still getting used to this since your siblings were such shorties I never had this worry. Oh my. Thankfully, no parents or children were harmed.

Your attitude of joy just amazes me. Just to illustrate what an amazingly happy boy you are; a few weeks ago, you woke up from your afternoon nap, and your voice was sounded croaky and dry. Later that night after we had put you to bed extra early, you woke up at 11 pm, your breathing very labored. As soon as I got you out and held you, you were happy. Even though you had a hard time breathing, you were playing with your breaths and all the while, smiling and sweet. I was confused as to what to do, because we realized you had croup and it seemed like you were struggling for breath and yet you didn't seem too uncomfortable. Thankfully my sweet neighbor, Debbie who is a Nurse Practitioner helped us out and we were able to get you a medicine that really helped your breathing. Still, you were just happy as can be. It just shocked me. Of course, a week or so later when you were over the labored breathing part of it and on to the snotty cold part, you started to get a bit grumpy. Still, your positive, sweet attitude amazes me.

I sure love you, little one.
Love, Mama

2 comments:

The Ishiis said...

He is such a cute little guy! Good luck on the pre-potty training, hope it continues to go well!

lynn said...

What a sweet little boy and a fun sense of humor. I miss them all!!