Saturday, September 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Amalie!

Wow! It's hard to believe that my little Amalie is three years old. In some ways it feels like we have had her forever. It is amazing how just three years ago, this tiny newborn came into our lives and we had no clue how our hearts would expand with love for her and our lives would never be the same . . . they would be much much better. I had no idea how much joy she would bring into our lives. And now she is three and we have another sweet little one on the way.

It is interesting how quickly the second child grows up. I never even considered having a "friend party" for Noah at the age of three, but Amalie has been talking about her party ever since Noah had his birthday party (way back in January). Her guest list was quite long, since she LOVES people and considers everyone her friend, so we had to trim it a little.

She came in the bathroom this morning just as I was about to take a shower and I said "Happy Birthday Amalie, you're three!" and her face just absolutely lit up.

"I'm three?" she asked in utter delight.

"Yes!" I exclaimed.

She was so thrilled that THE day was FINALLY here! Later in the day she asked me, "Am I still three?" It was darling.

We spent the morning in preparation for her party. I frosted the cake, and had bought candies for her to decorate it with. Originally I had thought about making a really cool cake for her, since we have been looking at cakes online for several months, but since she wanted a different cake every time, and combined with the fact that she loves to help me do Everything in the kitchen, I decided to get supplies so she could decorate her own cake.

She was thrilled to do so and decorated her cake ever so carefully- it was so cute! Noah exclaimed how awesome the cake was, which made Amalie feel so good. She couldn't wait to dig right in. Noah was stoked that he could blow up the balloons and kept interrupting so I could tie them shut. He was thrilled at this new accomplishment and I was thrilled I didn't have to blow up twenty-five balloons!


Brad had a great idea to set up his trashed tent in the living room and fill it with balloons. It was an absolute hit! The kids considered it their jump house and they had so much fun! It filled up 80% of my living room, but it was worth it to see the kids have so much fun.
Amalie's candy covered cake! She carefully placed M&M's and swedish fish. I had to help with the sprinkles a bit, because the container we had was prone to "dumping". She absolutely wanted blue frosting just like Noah had at his birthday.

Blowing out the candles.

Mmmm. Finger licking good! I tasted the cake and with all the candy and frosting, it was a little bit sickening, which is saying a lot since I have had a major sweet tooth lately, so I was glad the kids enjoyed it!

It was so cute that Amalie loved all her presents. I was pleased that Noah decided to get her a present- he had earlier said that he didn't want to spend any money on her since he is saving for a Lego set, so I was glad that he gave her these 3-D glasses he had "bought" at the school store. (The kids earn plastic pennies and nickels for good behavior and doing homework and such.)

We played the famous Ishii Fishing game where you put up a sheet and use a stick to "fish" for a prize. The kids all loved it and wanted to do it again. Derek was especially happy with his prize.

Party people! All the kids seemed to have a good time. Amalie seemed slightly overwhelmed at times, but I think overall had a wonderful party and loved getting to celebrate with her friends! What a blessing she is to our lives. I'm so glad she was born three years ago!

7 comments:

Our cute kids said...

How fun! Amalie has such a personality! I love that she decorated the cake! How fun for her! I will have to remember to do that for Abigail. Give Amalie a big hug and kiss from us!

me said...

I love the tent and balloon ides. We are having a combo luau for Ben and Camie this Saturday to celebrate their birthday with their friends. We did the family one for Camie in August and will do a family one for Ben at the end of the month. Glad to get one more idea for entertainment purposes.

lynn said...

What a fun party. How sweet that Amalie was so excited about being three and celebrating with her friends. Can't wait to see you all soooooon!

Mom of 7 said...

Haven't had much time to look at blogs lately but thought I would stop by and see what has been going on in your world. You do such a great job and such a dedicated mother. Keep up the great work. Your kids are lucky to have a mom like you.

Amy said...

What a fabulous birthday! I love the cake!

Geoff and Janene said...

That cake was awesome! I loved that you had her help you decorate. I've decided that it's more important to involve the kids than to make something amazing. That party looked fun. The tent with balloons is great!

The Ishiis said...

Birthdays are so fun for the little ones, Derek loved the spiderman car he got, he carried it around in his hand or pocket for at least 3 days!!