Friday, May 29, 2009

Memorial Day Picnic

We decided to go for a lunchtime picnic on Memorial Day. I feel like we don't really have many established traditions in our little family and since our extended family lives far away, we never quite know what to do on a day off. Well, this time, we actually planned in advance and it turned out really well. It was so nice to go out and have a nice outing. We told the kids Monday morning and they were SO thrilled. It was a nice motivation for them too- because we had to get chores done and hair cut (Noah) before we could go. The children worked hard and we brought a fun picnic lunch. They were just as excited as if we had told them we were going to Chuck E Cheese.

We decided to go to a newer area that was relandscaped and designed a few years ago at BYU. It was absoultely picturesque. The weather was perfectly perfect and this was our spectacular view.

There was a waterfall and I scaled the rocks with Amalie to go up and take this picture, only to find that I could have walked up the hill behind. Oh well, a good pregnancy workout, I guess! It was so fun to see the pure joy in the children's faces as they ran around and explored and just enjoyed being outdoors. It is still such a treat to get to relax outside, since we have only been able to in the last month. A few baby ducks came up while we were eating, begging for food. The kids had fun, throwing pieces of bread from their sandwiches and watching the baby ducks squabble over it.

Amalie got confident after seeing Noah walk on the top of this itty bitty waterfall and was thrilled to walk back and forth over, and over and over again! Noah got a little too confident and went into the island in the middle of the pond- it was quite shallow, but since he is short- he was soaked up to his thighs! It didn't seem to bother him, though. He just kept running and playing!
It only took FOUR days for his shoes to dry out! Luckily he had another pair he could wear. I love it when my kids do crazy stuff like this, it's just so funny and makes for a good memory.
It was just an absolutely lovely day and I hope we have more of these before it gets too hot! (But then again, I guess we can always just walk through the pond, like Noah did- hee hee)

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I haven't checked people's blogs in forever and it was so fun to see that you're pregnant! I'm so THRILLED for you! I loved reading about your Mother's Day also, it sounded delightful.
hugs,
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Kate, you do the most amazing, simple things with your children. The kinds of things that make great memories. It's the closeness to God's creations that brings the greatest joy; your children and nature, it doesn't get better than that! You inspire me.

me said...

Those are some beautiful pitures. What a beautiful area to pic nic. Maybe when I'm up in August we can go see the place.