I have been working harder this year on making our Family Home Evening's more fun. It sometimes feels like it is a "To Do" and that we must check it off, no matter how painful. But I recently realized it doesn't have to be that way, if I will just plan a little bit! My goal is to make Family Night memorable and a night the children and adults look forward to. I found out about free animal shows that they host at our local museum and we decided to take the children.
We gave a lesson on "Protecting God's Creations" and then told the children we were going to the show. Amalie was thrilled and could not wait to see the reptiles. I don't think she really even understood what "reptiles" are, but she knew she would be seeing animals. Noah didn't want to go, but went anyway. (He really didn't have a choice.)
Amalie was absolutely enthralled by the reptiles. They brought out a turtle, a blue tongued Skink and a King Snake, and with each one, the host would bring it around, so we could all have a touch. Amalie complained loudly that she wanted to touch each one, while I reassured that we would get our chance. When the snake was coming around, she started to sing "I love Snakies, I love Snakies." (I can just see you cringing, Mom!)
As Noah has put it in the past "Amalie's not afraid of anything, is she?"
I love that she is not afraid, because I have never been afraid either and have tried to teach my children to not be afraid and to not kill even small animals/insects (unless they are running wild in my house OR are poisonous)
I was thrilled that Noah enjoyed the show and could tell that he was really feeling cool that he had touched a snake! (Something to brag about in school the next day!)The children both LOVED the show so much, they wanted to stay for the next one (which ran an hour later) but the fun must end at some point. We walked around the museum, looking at the stuffed animals. Amalie just really loves looking at animals, and found the beauty in all of them, even the warthog!
It was a fun family night and hopefully we will have lots more to come!
I was thrilled that Noah enjoyed the show and could tell that he was really feeling cool that he had touched a snake! (Something to brag about in school the next day!)The children both LOVED the show so much, they wanted to stay for the next one (which ran an hour later) but the fun must end at some point. We walked around the museum, looking at the stuffed animals. Amalie just really loves looking at animals, and found the beauty in all of them, even the warthog!
It was a fun family night and hopefully we will have lots more to come!
4 comments:
Fun idea Kate! It is better when we put more thought into it.
What a great FHE. You two are so creative. Couple that with yummy refreshments and the kids will think Monday nights are their FAVORITE night of the week.
I still hate the smell and memories there, we took the kids there and Derek was terrified of a lot of the animals. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun though, memorable FHE's are the best.
That is a GREAT FHE idea! Totally made me want to join in! Sounds like everyone had a good time!
Post a Comment