Sunday, May 10, 2009

XY Chromosomes


Yep, you read that right! It's a BOY! And as far as we know, he is completely healthy. Which is a tremendous relief. The whole family went in when I had my ultrasound, since we really wanted the children to be a part of it. I worried that Amalie might be a little tough, but actually they were both pretty good. There were toys in the room, so they were much more interested in playing with the toys than looking at sketchy images of the baby. (And I had worked so hard prepping them by watching videos of ultrasounds!)

I thought I really didn't care what sex the baby was. I was a lot more worried that the children would be upset if they didn't get what they wanted. Noah wanted a baby brother and Amalie had also wanted a baby brother . . .up until a week before the ultrasound when suddenly she announced she wanted a baby sister. So, obviously one of them was going to be disappointed. When the ultrasound tech asked if we wanted to know the gender, Brad and I immediately answered "Yes" and then Brad exclaimed "It's a boy!" before the tech said anything.

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed, which surprised me. I guess I had been thinking how great it would be for Amalie to have a sister. Brad made me feel better by mentioning that since I had such a great relationship with my sisters that naturally I would want that for my own daughter.

When we told Amalie that it was a boy- she and Noah were busy playing, she said "No, a sister!" and then five minutes later she was thrilled about her baby brother. She even came up to me the next day and said "Mom, I love my baby brother." That really warmed my heart.

But for me, it has taken a little longer to get used to the fact that we are having a boy. I am starting to get excited and I just keep wondering WHO this little one is. And I needn't worry about Amalie having a friend, because she and Noah are best buds (most of the time) and I was really close to my younger brothers.

I guess the biggest challenge for me at this point is accepting the fact that I will be a mother of THREE! Some days my children will both climb onto my lap, sitting on top of my baby bump, and have a shoving match on my lap. We have mostly remedied that by taking five minute turns . . . but still . . . there is only one of me! And I will have a needy little baby. I guess I am overwhelmed by the fact that not only will I have a newborn who cannot do anything for itself, but on top of that I will be sore, I will think I feel fine and then suddenly walking up the stairs will be too much and my uterus will start to contract painfully, telling me I have overdone it, I will also be hormonal and feel weird, sleep will be a distant memory and I am afraid that with all those stressors I will not enjoy this stage of life.

So, I am trying to prepare the best I can, by helping Amalie and Noah to be as independent as possible, making sure I give each of them alone time each day, and praying with all my heart that Heavenly Father will prepare me so I can ENJOY the JOURNEY. Because truly having a newborn is one of the most spiritual experiences ever. You have this precious, innocent child who has such potential and you have the privelege of raising him. You stare at this child trying to memorize what they look like, only to find that the next day they look a little different. I want to be filled with joy when I look at my child, not with resentment that I can't get any sleep!

So I will trust and I will pray and we will make it through. And I am grateful I still have 4 more months of pregnancy to prepare! Noah was saying "Mom, don't you wish the baby would come on Mother's Day? Wouldn't that be the best present?" But I am content to wait for this little one. I am enjoying having him safe and secure inside and to feel his little kicks and punches- it is like a delicious secret to feel such a sensation.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Kate, what wonderful news! I am so excited for you and baby boy number two! I remember feeling these same things when I found out we were having a boy (and not a girl). Kaitlin actually cried when we told her it was a boy. I remember thinking how tough it would be to shake up the balance I had found with two kids by adding another. It was definitely a bit harder than the transition from one to two, but as I'm sure you know, all things seem to fall into place. Usually just in time to keep you from going completely mental! Congrats again! Love you!

Amy said...

Congratulations cute pregnant lady! ;) That little boy is so lucky to be coming to such a loving family. Glad you're feeling better these days!

Eric and Hayley said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting that you are going to have another baby. What fun!

Sarah said...

I love reading your blogs! Congratulations on the upcoming birth of a baby boy! Looks like the order/gender of your kids is the same as us. When we found out we were having another one so soon...I felt so overwhelmed. We had planned on having more children but just not yet. I thought...how in the world am I going to do this? But I am doing it! I've learned that I can't be everywhere at the same time so if I'm doing something I just have to finish one task first before I move on to the next. I tell my kids..."yes I can get you that sandwich or toy once I'm finished feeding the baby or whatever I'm doing. This has helped me not fee l crazy and like I have too much going on or too many unfinished tasks. Our baby is now just over 6 months and is smiling and cooing. I am grateful for his added spirit in our home and can't imagine life without him. I'm excited for you

me said...

Hey don't forget you and your baby brother were pretty close growing up. I just can't wait to read about him and the adventures you'll go through with three!

Danica said...

A. You are darling!
B. Congrats - a healthy boy is exciting news!
C. You are going to do SO GREAT with three - you're amazing.

Geoff and Janene said...

Kate, Congratulations! Three is a little daunting, but you sound like you are preparing for that. It will be hard but also really great. The other day I was reading books to my kids and Mara was on my lap and Megan and Ben were on each side and all I could think was...if I ever had another one...where would they go? I understand the feeling of there is only one me. :) Your kids are blessed to have you.