Sunday, January 11, 2009

Christmas

Mary kissing baby Jesus.

Whenever the Christmas season rolls around, I start to feel negative. The Christmas decorations clutter the stores and everyone seems to get stressed out trying to find the right presents and shopping, shopping, shopping abounds.

This is not what Christmas is about, I start to think and get frustrated that Christmas has turned into a major Shop-a-thon. This year I started to get frustrated yet again, and suddenly I realized that it does not matter what others do, I can have the Christmas Spirit. I can seek it out and have a wonderful season. After that realization, I started to pray that I would know HOW to do it. I knew I should start by serving others, but I wasn't sure what I needed to do specifically. The answers came little by little, day by day as I continued to seek them. I came to understand the scripture in Mosiah 2:17
"... when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."
Our economic situation this year has been a blessing. It helped me to look outside presents and give of myself. It was surprising to me that my gifts of service not only blessed others, but filled me with a sweet spirit. I felt the love of our Savior for those I served and His love for me. I was truly blessed this year and it was the BEST year ever.

It has taken me NINE years to figure this out. I was so used to my parents (well, really just Mom) orchestrating Christmas, and service, and everything, that I just thought the Christmas Spirit just came all by itself, with little effort from me.

How wrong I was. And each year, I would dislike Christmas even more, as I watched the Shop-a-thon's and yet did nothing about filling my own life and home with the beauty of the season.

This year was so sweet and so different. I really felt the sweet Spirit of Christ during the season and I am so grateful for it. I feel sheepish that it took me nine years to figure it out, but I'm glad it happened!

I felt like my perspective changed. On Christmas Eve, Brad contemplated running to the store to get a few last minute things, but we both clearly felt, "No, it doesn't matter." We wanted Christmas Eve to be a spiritual night filled with love and the warmth of family, and so instead, we stayed home. We had an early dinner, a sweet re-enactment of the Christmas play and afterwards some goodies from our neighbors. We had just gotten the kids in their brand new pajamas, when the phone rang. Apparently there was something on our doorstep. We opened the door and there was a pile of presents. Normally, it is very hard for me to receive, but I felt overwhelmed with love that someone had thought of us. I imagined the excitement of the family as they lovingly picked out gifts, carefully wrapped them, and then dropped them off, giggling and excited with anticipation as they imagined our surprise. I remembered the times my family had done the same growing up, and my heart felt full, knowing how blessed this family was for giving to us. The blessings come full circle- we are blessed by their gift, they are blessed in giving and we all feel the love of our Savior.

The kids were so excited, but we finally got them to bed and not even an hour later, the phone rang again. I wondered who would be calling on Christmas Eve. "Ho, Ho, Ho, go look on your doorstep!" said the unfamiliar voice. I was so stunned that I could not say anything in response.
(A Rarity for me)

So I hung up the phone, and went and opened the door. There on the doorstep was a wrapped present that was MUCH heavier than it looked. It jangled when I picked it up.

There's either change in there, or something got broken, I surmised.

Brad and I opened it up immediately and inside was a Christmas Jar, filled with quarters. Tears of joy sprang to my eyes. I just felt so loved. Knowing that someone out there was concerned about us and wanted to help was a rejuvenating feeling. I felt God's love through this sweet act of service.
I felt comforted knowing that our family is surrounded by those who understand the Christmas spirit and generously give of themselves to us and many others.


So, yes, this has been the sweetest season yet. One filled with giving and receiving and all being filled with the Spirit of Christ, that wonderful feeling of love that transcends any other.

7 comments:

Amy said...

What a fabulous Christmas! You're so good at reminding us all about what is really important in life. I love reading your blog!

the mom~ said...

Awwww....how wonderful.
Like Amy, I too love your blog :)

me said...

This Christmas was a wonderful Christmas for many even in the economic down turn. I am so happy to read of the blessings your family received and especially gave.

lynn said...

Kate that was so beautifully expressed. One of the best gifts we received this year was your Christmas card and written testimony. Another was the surprise visit! What a wonderful gift of love. I too, love reading your blog. Love, your momma

Anonymous said...

Kate, you and I have so much in common! I'm just lots of years down the road!
It does make Christmas magical again, doesn't it?

Jill Ison said...

that was a really beautiful post. You have me rethinking Christmas. I find myself dreading the holidays but maybe your right maybe it doesnt have to be that way!

Mom of 7 said...

It sounds like your Christmas was beautiful. We try to tone down our Christmas each year and they years that it is so simple are the ones that we really remember and are more focused on our Savior.