Monday, January 26, 2009

Dear Noah,
I feel like I will never stop learning things about you. It is interesting that in difficult situations, we see what some people are made of. My back went out the other day, and I explained to you and Amalie what had happened and that I needed extra help, since it was hard for me to get around. You said okay, but I honestly didn't expect all that much since you are only six. But you proved yourself to be a compassionate boy. Amalie started cleaning the living room and you immediately cleaned the dining room, emptied the laundry out of the dryer, then went upstairs, cleaned your room and got dressed. I told you that I was going to try and find a ride for you to the Primary Activity that day and you said "Mom, I don't want to go!"

Well that surprised me, since you love Primary and you love to see your friends.
But then you added "I want to stay home and take care of you!"

I convinced you to go and that I would be okay for the short while you were gone. You continued to surprise me by asking me if I needed an ice pack.

You came home with a bag of treats, saying that you had brought home goodies to share. You are so generous! Amalie and I were happy to share your chocolate chip cookie.

The next morning, I woke up to find you standing right beside my bedside.
"Mom, how are you feeling?" you asked. Then you climbed into bed and started massaging my back. Well, someday your hands and arms will be strong enough to give me a massage, but the thought of you trying to help my back made me feel so loved. Then you told me you wanted to bring me breakfast in bed. I declined, but then you said "But Mom, it's hard for you to walk down the stairs!"
I thought better of it and decided I would like breakfast in bed, so you brought me up some Cheerios and milk.

I am so grateful for your compassion and love. You made me feel so special and made a difficult time much more pleasant for me. You are my big ray of sunshine.

Love,
Mom

2 comments:

me said...

Hold onto this memory. These kind of moments are what make parenting so worth it. On those down times, these moments get you through.

The Ishiis said...

That is so sweet that Noah helped you so much when you needed it.