Though it may seem from the title that I love winter, in truth I don't. It is not that I don't like the snow or the beauty of the snowy mountains or the frigid, dry air, (oh wait, I don't like the frigid dry air) it is more that I know I will not be able to really play outside until April! The winters here are SOOOOO long. Which is why I need to accent the positive. (Basically, I'm trying to convince myself. Let's see if it works!)
1. Snow- I had only seen snow a grand total of TWO times before I moved up here. And let me tell you, the snow I played in before does not compare one iota to fresh, powdery snow. Oh, it is heavenly to wake up to a world blanketed in snow, before anyone has disturbed the fresh powder, it is beautiful and peaceful. I love to see tree branches rimmed with the white sparkly ice.
2. Snow at night is awesome! Let me tell you why. Snow reflects light, so when you are outside at night, there is a glow that seems surreal. It is like the world is lit up like a stage.
3. What other time can you sip hot chocolate daily? And may I recommend Stephen's brand. It's the best- super chocolaty and rich. Its like a warm massage-the way it slides down your throat, warming you from head to toes. Love it! (Chocolate Mint, Amaretto, Chocolate orange, Belgian chocolate, all delicious!)
4. Snuggling up under the covers and reading a good book. Aaah. I love to be slightly cold and have to burrow under my covers for warmth. So cozy.
5. Oh to be a child again! I love to see the wonder and excitement on my little one's faces after the first REAL snowfall (meaning the first that actually sticks!) It brings back my own memories of when my family visited Washington when I was just a girl, and we prayed for it to snow, we wanted to see it, play in it, taste it. And it did. Small, tiny flakes that didn't stick, but we were thrilled!
6. Christmas! I love the real meaning of Christmas. I love that we celebrate the birth of Christ, our Savior! What a wonderful time of year that we remember the greatest gift that He gave us.
7. I just saw an ad for ABC Family- every December they show Christmas movies all month long. I looked at the programming and this will be the best year yet! Tons of fun holiday movies. I will just have to curl up under my fuzzy blanket, hot chocolate in hand. Mmmm. One of my coziest memories was when I was a teenager and we had a wood fire going in our fireplace (back then I would not have had to specify that it was an actual fire with logs!)and it was a cold day in December. I lay in front of the fire, feeling the warmth, and fell asleep. I woke up so blissfully happy.
8. Have you ever seen a real snowflake? They are the most exquisite pieces of work. They are so incerdibly tiny, but shaped symmetrically and each so different. It's hard to believe that comes from nature. It makes me stand in wonder of all of God's creations, they are so brilliant and beautiful.
NOAA Photo LibraryWilson Bentley, a Vermont farmer, took photographs of snowflakes under a microscope as a hobby. These photographs were published in the "Monthly Weather Review" in 1902.
9. Snowball fights are the BEST! Especially when I am hitting someone else. Gotta love it!
Well, I think I succeeded. I am very happy to have Winter come knocking at my door. Especially since today was a gorgeous sunny day, not too cold. And as long as I don't have to be tramping through snow every day, or driving on black ice, it's all good!
4 comments:
You think YOUR winters are long...move to Minnesota! LOL.
It was -1 yesterday with the wind chill. I almost wouldnt mind that had we had snow on the ground, but no snow yet. I love the snow but wished it ended in January.
Isn't it weird growing up in So Cal and then raising our families in other parts of the country, ones where it SNOWS! We never had snow jackets, or boots, gloves, mittens none of that in CA, until we moved here. I dont think my kids could handle a NON snowy winter like in CA. Thanks for getting me excited for winter!
That was so beautifully written,it ALMOST makes me want to come back up for the snow! But wait, I did do that once.........if you could just somehow have the beauty of snow without freezing to death. I for one, am so grateful for sunny weather while we were there!
Love you, Mom
I love being cold enough to have to cuddle up under a nice comforter too. Your picture reminds me of winters in South Dakota. The snow would be so high that my brothers would jump from the second floor balcony and land in it. I think I did but I can't actually remeber. One more thing for your list. Tell me about temple square. How beautiful is it, at night with snow?
The best thing about Winter is when it's over!
Post a Comment