I recently prepared a lesson on Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk from General Conference (he is an apostle in our church and General Conference is held twice a year when our prophet and apostles speak to the world) It was called "Come What May and love it." It really touched my heart because the point was that we can be happy even through our toughest trials. I loved this quote:
"If we approach adversities wisely, our hardest times can be times of greatest growth, which in turn can lead toward times of greatest happiness."
Then he gave some steps to help us do that:
1. Learn to Laugh
2. Seek the eternal
3. Understand the principle of compensation (the Lord compensates the faithful for every loss in His own way)
4. Trust in the Father and the Son
So I was thinking that I need to work on learning to laugh at the little frustrations that happen everyday in life. I am not good at that. And I pondered it for awhile, not knowing how to change. How do I just laugh it off? For some, like my sister Amy, it seems to come easy, she just laughs and takes pictures. And now that I have a blog, it is slightly easier. But still, I get really stressed when things don't work out the way I want them to.
Of course as life goes, I was tested that very day. Most of you know Noah, and you know he is NOT a mischevious boy. He rarely gets into things he shouldn't. And then yesterday, Noah came downstairs wanting to show me his "secret recipe". He had a medicine cup full of white goo- and there was definitely some Aquafresh toothpaste in there. I ran upstairs to his lab (or rather my bathroom) to find ten or more bottles sitting on the counter, obviously a part of his secret recipe. Shampoo, conditioner, my nice lotion, my nice shampoo, toothpaste, bodywash, facial wash, facial scrub. Then to top it all off, the floor was covered with Kix cereal.
I lost it! I started yelling and demanded that he clean the mess up and that he pay me $2 for compensation and do ten extra chores. Then I lectured him about how expensive all those products were and how we didn't have money to replace them and even if we did, how dumb that would be, etc, etc, etc.
I went back downstairs, chest heaving, heart beating, feeling frustrated and slightly guilty, but not knowing how to change. I prayed half heartedly. Ten minutes later I went to check up on him and find that he had smeared soap all over Amalie's head and Amalie is screaming. Nothing is cleaned up. More yelling and more lecturing occured. And I continued to feel guilty, but justified myself inside, putting the blame on my little Noah.
Later, he said, "Mom, I got out the pen marks on the door with my secret recipe." And of course, I felt bad- really he wasn't trying to upset me. He was even trying to do something good. But of course I lectured him again on the dangers of mixing chemicals.
I realized that I must laugh these little incidents off.
I thought of President Monson (The Prophet and President of our church) and his beautiful talk about "Finding Joy in the Journey."
"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly.
Stresses in our lives come regardless of our circumstances. We must deal with them the best we can. But we should not let them get in the way of what is most important—and what is most important almost always involves the people around us. Often we assume that they must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know. Wrote William Shakespeare, “They do not love that do not show their love.”3 We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us."
Stresses in our lives come regardless of our circumstances. We must deal with them the best we can. But we should not let them get in the way of what is most important—and what is most important almost always involves the people around us. Often we assume that they must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know. Wrote William Shakespeare, “They do not love that do not show their love.”3 We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us."
Thank goodness for little children who forgive so easily and love us with their whole hearts. We did eventually make up, and I am trying to laugh it off. I never want to look back and have regrets- I want to know that I did my best as a mother and that no matter what choices my children make when they are grown and gone, I did everything to teach them the way to eternal happiness.
*If you are so willing, please share your thoughts of how you shake it off, laugh it off and just enjoy each moment with your children.*
5 comments:
Oh Kate, I relate to this more than I would like....I struggled for so many years! I honestly don't know what or where the turning point was, perhaps it was learning that anger is a secondary emotion and taking time to identify what the primary emotion was...then again, it may just be turning 40. Hang in there! I always told Stephen he would be judged with an extra measure of mercy because he was my first and had to deal with ME!
Don't be too hard on yourself :-)
Oh Kate-I love your honesty! At certain times of the month(lol) I'm quicker to yell and not laugh it off but usually I've got no other choice but to laugh it off or I'd go insane. I too like order and things MY way but truth be told we are mothers of little boys, what should we expect? Ethan was my good little boy, Abram has tested me daily and what I usually do is take pictures and blog it, and PRAY! I know there are a lot of mothers praying for him and me as well. You should search my blog for his naughty trials, they will make you laugh it off for sure and be glad he's not your little boy! I am so very grateful for both my boys though, they keep me on my toes :)
I hear all the time from older ladies, "Enjoy them now, they dont stay young for long" and although some days it's harder to except I must learn to live this way with them before they are fully grown and gone and married to my future daughter in laws....ARRRGGHHHH!!!!
Smile :)
OK, so if you heard my talk on Sunday, I too struggle with those same things. I wish I had the answers too. I heard a story once about a little boy that spilled a gallon of milk and his mom used it as a learning experience for him on how to clean up milk and hold a gallon of milk properl. I thought I am so far from that I don't see it happening in my lifetime. I do believe that is why God has made such forgiving (and forgetting) kids. You are a good mom and good moms stuggle. Hang in there and continue trying your best. Next time you should take a picture and blog it so that when you guys look back on it you can laugh and remember that rather than the guilt you felt.
Take this with a grain of salt, because it has been a long time since I was actually in the trenches of everyday mothering, but the question I would ask myself periodically was, "Will this matter in 100 years?" The mess won't - it will be long gone, but the teaching moment will. Of course, the teaching moment would naturally deal with wasting resources, cleaning up messes, being respectful of other people's things, etc. But the whole experience also teaches you something about Noah as well, there is a bit of the scientist in him and maybe you can look for appropriate ways for him to satisfy that creativity by setting up a 'controlled laboratory experience' under your supervision. The difficult part is the initial reaction to something you are not expecting. I think that's where prayer and scripture study come in - it prepares you for the day. If we could just consistantly get up before they do!
You are a great mom!! I love the way you learn from life's experiences.
Love, your Mom
how did you get a kid that isnt usually a troublemaker?? That is a miracle! Or maybe you're just an awesome mom! That scene happens like every other day at my house. It's sad. But I blame myself (after my fair share of yelling of course) but really it all comes down to, I know my kids do stuff like that, so I had better put it up and if I don't then I shouldn't be surprised when it all goes awry. Sadly I have not learned my lesson yet. You're lucky to have a child that doesn't usually mess though I can see how it would take you by surprise. once after Lucy ate my concieler for the sixth time or so (see S.O.S. in my oct. archives) I was yelling at Lucy and Kassidy was witnessing it and she said "mom! your scareing her!" and I was like "oh yeah, oops". I probably do look pretty scary with all this anger rageing out of me! and then I felt really bad that my 10 year old had to step in and correct my behavior! ha but I still hate the waste. Your a sweet mom I can tell.
Post a Comment