This week I went and helped out in Noah's class. It was WONDERFUL! Noah's face lit up when he saw me walk in. His teacher stopped the vigorous ABC's lesson and said "Does anyone know whose Mom came in to help us today?"
Noah said with an adorably shy, but proud tone, "Mine."
It was so sweet. All the little Kindergartners turned around and looked at me curiously. Noah's teacher set me to work, stapling packets together. I was pretty disappointed, since I had hoped to help the kids and get to know them. But when I was done, I took them to PE and was the special bathroom helper. Apparently, the kids get lost when they try to find the bathroom. And with 26 Kindergartners, there's always somebody who has to go. Noah was the first one. It was cute, because he always goes right before school, so I knew he was faking it, all so he could be with me. SO SWEET!
The little girls in the class kept glancing at me, and I would smile at them, and they would shyly smile back. When I started to compliment some of the kids, the girls would look at me for reassurance. It was so cute. Interesting too, because the boys didn't.
Then we went back to the classroom and I got to help them with their work which was so fun. I love helping because I think it's RIDICULOUS that one teacher try to teach 26 kids. I mean, really, it's not the teachers fault- I love her- but the ratio is just not conducive to real learning. Class sizes are definitely something that need to be changed.
The other thing that melted my heart was that I got about 30 hugs from Noah. He continually ran up to me and gave me huge hugs. He was so happy that his Mom was helping! What a wonderful day that was!
This new journey of Noah's increased independence has been confusing for both Noah and I. It is strange when Kindergarten starts and everything changes, but in different ways than I had prepared for. I knew it might be tough, but not in the ways it has been. So I am learning and growing. It has been good for both of us.
Thanks to all of you for your advice and encouragement! I really appreciate you all!
4 comments:
Kindergarten is so magical in so many ways. I'm glad you're helping in the classroom, nothing beats it! Enjoy.
What a wonderful experience. Those are moments to treasure.
That is so great how it worked out so well. What a sweet moment to be able to share with Noah.
Sounds as if you were way off on the "embarassed by his mommy" phase.
Post a Comment