I forgot to add that as Noah ignored me on that fateful day, I tried hard to laugh it off, and not take it personally. I prayed to love him unconditionally.
Well . . . today I told Noah that I would be helping in his class next week.
And here is the reaction that melted my heart:
He jumped up and down ecstatically! He was jumping for joy and then he gave me a HUGE hug! I savored that moment, knowing that it won't be too long before he is embarrased of me. I know this because I did the same thing. It was not that I was embarrased of the kind of people my parents are, but embarrased by the fact that I had parents. It made me feel like a little baby to have them around (when my friends were in the vicinity). So I completely understand the struggle Noah is having. He wants to be independent, however, our world is filled with some scary people, so I can't give him the freedom he deeply yearns. (There was an attempted kidnapping just a mile away last week!) It is a hard struggle this growing independence.
So I will enjoy these precious moments when he is not afraid to hug me in public, or brag that I am his mom. I can't wait to help out in his class!
8 comments:
That is so sweet. What a wonderful moment.
Your first Mr. Independence story made me so sad! (partly because I know it will happen to me one day too) But I am glad to know that he still loves his Mom and wants her to help out at school. :) There is hope!
Do I dare say my kids never went through the totally embarrassed to be around you stage? Hang in there, maybe he'll realize, quickly, how much he loves you and wants you around....
We think Kate is a super Mom!
Goodness Kate, remember you might have given birth to him and you may even share some personality traits but it doesn't mean he thinks like you did. He may totally thrive independance but never be embarassed of his parents, well at least not until he is a teen.It is possible.
I am glad to know that some kids aren't embarrased of their parents! And I wasn't embarrased either until I got to Junior High. So, maybe there is hope. I think my brother Ben never minded my parents, but I think he was the only one of six kids! However, we also realized how amazing our parents were the older we got and the more we went to our friends houses and realized that hey, my parents love me NO matter what I do!
Kate, did you know that the attempted Kidnapping was a fake? Yep, the 10 year old boy made it all up. It was good for it to happen, so we all could talk to our kids again about Stranger danger.
I am glad to see he isn't all attitude now that he is a big kindergartener, he is such a funny kid, I am sure he will love having you help out!
Post a Comment