Friday, July 1, 2011

Overheard in the car

Amalie: "Noah, I wish you weren't part of our family. Because remember? I wanted to marry you."

Moments later . . .

Amalie: Noah, who do you want to marry?

Noah: I don't know.

Amalie: I'm going to marry Eli. (Pause) Don't you think that's funny?

Noah: No . . . I think it's awesome! Then Eli and I will be related! (Eli and Noah are best buds)

Still later . . .

Amalie: I wish I lived in a state where girls could marry girls. Then I could marry Kyah. (her best bud.)

Mom's mouth drops open (Who told her about that?): Amalie, you don't have to marry someone to live with them. You and Kyah could live in the same apartment and be roomates and have lots of fun together. Marriage is more for having babies together.

Amalie: I want to have babies with Kyah, so we can take care of them together. (they do love to play and take care of their babies)

Mom: Well, if you and Kyah live next door when you grow up, you can take care of your babies together and talk while your husbands are at work.

It's funny to realize how limited her perspective of marriage is. I remember Noah telling me when he was a lot younger that he wanted to marry his best friends who are boys. He really just thought it meant you get to live in the same house and play everyday. When I told Brad about this last night, he suggested that I should have told Amalie that she and Kyah could start a babysitting club when they get older, then they could take care of babies together! Brad, you are so brilliant! I had a big grin on my face while we were driving to the store. This is where I find joy in the journey, listening to these funny conversations.

3 comments:

the mom~ said...

LOL, this is a great one! I love how kids think :)

Alyssa said...

Hah! That is hilarious. I wonder what Kyah's reaction would be if I read her your post.

Isaac asked me today why I married his Daddy instead of waiting to marry him :) Little kids are fabulous.

Kate said...

Thanks for sharing that comment about Isaac, that is too cute. I wonder what Kyah would think as well, so funny!