Monday, January 11, 2010

Noah's 7th Birthday!

Noah,
Since I have my hands full this year, I really wanted to make sure you had a very special day. I wanted you to feel like I did growing up, very very loved, knowing that your family is so happy that you were born. The whole week I had been sleeping in, and you had been getting yourself off to school, so I decided to get up early with you. Amalie and Gabriel were still asleep and so you and I had some quiet time all to ourselves. We sat on the couch and snuggled and I told you all about the day you were born. You loved hearing about it and I can still see you in my memory, with your face lit up. I could tell you felt very loved.

After I took you to the bus stop, I came home and looked in the refrigerator and saw you had forgotten your lunch! Normally, I would let you suffer the consequences, because I want you to learn, but I couldn't let you go without lunch on your birthday! I wasn't sure what to do, since I don't have a car during the day and the school won't let you buy a lunch on credit. So, I got in touch with your Dad and since he was already planning to take off work to come to your class to celebrate your birthday, he decided to sacrifice even more and we came to your school to bring you lunch. We brought your packed lunch as well as a little hamburger from Wendy's which you scarfed down. It was fun eating lunch with you at school.

We debated about staying longer to celebrate with your class, because Dad knew he would be taking an extra 45 minutes off, but finally we decided to stay and we are so glad we did. Your teacher, Mrs. Walton let you pick a teddy bear, and then your class gathered around in a circle, passed around the teddy bear and each said what they loved about you. It was so fun to hear. The main things that were said were that you are kind, a good friend, quiet in the line, and you listen in class. It was pretty funny when about six kids in a row all said how quiet you were. I figured they must not know you very well! It seems like you are like your Mom; wild at home, and very well behaved at school. Then your teacher brought out a guitar and we sang you "Happy Birthday" in English, Portugese and then Spanish! I love how your teacher celebrates b-days! Earlier you had asked me if I was bringing a treat for your birthday and I said "Only if you want to subtract the money from your b-day present" and you said "No", so that worked rather well! I didn't hear another word about it after that.

That night we had a dinner of your choice, which was a tradition in my family when I was growing up. You wanted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and then I told you that you could pick a fruit and a vegetable for sides, so you picked kiwi fruit and cauliflower and broccoli. It was fun for me to find out what your favorite foods are, since I rarely think to ask.

After dinner, we put a card on your chair and waited for you to find it. There was a little money inside and it said,"Let's go to the store and pick out a toy!" Your face lit up when you read that and you said "Really?" You have been saving your money for awhile now and also gotten some birthday money as well, so you were thrilled! We took you to Toys R Us and you picked out Pokemon cards (a pack of 60) and a Bakugan ball. Daddy really wanted you to get toys that would last for years, but we realize that you need to make these kinds of decisions and you were SO thrilled with your purchase!

It was such a special day and you were such a good boy- sometimes I worry that you will get "spoiled" because you have so much family that loves to give you gifts, but you were very sweet and grateful.

It is hard for me to believe we have had you for SEVEN years! I am so grateful you came to our family! I love you!
Love,
Mom

2 comments:

me said...

What a fun day. I agree it's hard to watch them buy the things they will buy when they get money. I always want to put my two sense in and it is hard not to.

lynn said...

What a special day for Noah - filled with love. And that's the very best part.