Thursday, January 7, 2010

Christmas Break


I was more than a little worried about Noah being out of school for two weeks. Already, I am EXHAUSTED every day, and that is just taking care of Amalie and Gabriel. I worried because my active boy needs LOTS of exercise, otherwise he is bouncing off the walls and he is also the type that wants to be entertained ALL DAY LONG. So . . .it was with trepidation I approached these days off. But to my surprise, things went Stupendously. I had a talk with Noah and let him know I needed his help and that each morning I needed him to get breakfast for himself and Amalie so I could sleep in. And he did it! I slept in several hours later than I normally can and it was just heaven! Then I would get up, feed Gabriel and bring him downstairs for Noah to hold. Noah was thrilled to hold him, and then I would shower,get ready and tidy up my room.

Then the children would help me clean the house. I gave Noah a lot more responsibility than he normally has- on a regular school day, he has so much to do, I feel like I can't ask much of him. So I was surprised and pleased that he rose to the occasion. Amalie was also happy to have a playmate and didn't pester me all day long to play with her. Noah would constantly help Gabe whenever he could- it was just so nice!! I told Noah that if he continued to show me how responsible he is, he will be able to babysit in a few years. He was thrilled by that and I think he really took it to heart. (I so HOPE he continues this!) Along with being a great help, he still had LOADS of time to play outside in the snow and goof off. He even made his first snowman with help from his friends, Kyah and Isaac.

I have to admit, that when Noah said,"I don't know if I want to go back to school, I'm not used to it," the day before school started, I had to agree. I didn't want my help to go back either! But he did, and things are as good as they can be. Still, I am just so thrilled the break was such a positive experience!

6 comments:

The Ishiis said...

That's awesome that he was such a big help! The Christmas break was great for us as well, the kids just played with their cousins have of the time and when they left I had Kaitlyn take a nap everyday with Derek...she still falls asleep before Derek!

me said...

I think it's great that you gave him that responsibility and I think you should continue it to every Saturday.

lynn said...

Isn't it wonderful to see your children learning, growing, accepting responsibility and helping so much?

Unknown said...

Oh, so cute! That is wonderful that Noah was such a big help! I was pretty nervous about Kaitlin's 2 weeks off as well...it sounds like Noah did much better than Kaitlin...let's just say there was lots of time outs to be had at the Hoach house :) Sounds like I need to follow your example and start trusting Kaitlin with more responsibilities!
PS...your kids are just the cutest! Gabriel is growing up so fast too!

madrilenamer said...

That is terrific! What a great kid! I'm really impressed by how you handle having 3 kids... I'm still figuring out being a mom of one!

Mom of 7 said...

That is wonderful that he is becoming such a big helper. If it is anything like the way I feel, it is the difference from you being sane and insane. I remember the time not too long ago when I couldn't wait for the kids to be back in school and now I really want them home because they are such great helpers. Hope it stays that way that he can be a big helper. You are doing a good job.