Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Family Home Evening - More fun!

We were setting the table for dinner on Monday night, when Noah suddenly said "Mom, it's Family Home Evening, did you remember?" He said it with a smile and looked at me with excited anticipation. My heart just swelled, because we have been trying to have better Family Home Evenings and I want the children to look forward to them! What a moment! These are the moments that make all the hard times so very, very worth it!

I replied that I remembered but had not prepared a lesson. I asked Amalie if she wanted to give the lesson, because every time Noah gives the lesson, she always wants a turn. She was excited to do so, and even though she is quite young, I figured it would at least be a learning experience for someone! (Me or her, wasn't sure who!) I helped her prepare and then she said she wanted to do a puppet show- so she practiced that.

Her lesson was darling! She taught us how to pray, by modeling the behavior for us and then we had to copy her. Then she had a cute puppet show that really had nothing to do with prayer, but was adorable to watch her invent dialogue for. Noah was very reverent during the lesson, and Amalie then wanted to teach about Temples when she was done- I think she was confused when I gave her the choice earlier to teach a lesson about Prayer or Temples. We cajoled her into stopping by announcing our activity- We were going to go outside and have a high jump contest and jump roping and follow up with a dessert of banana muffins.

The kids had a ball being outside. It was such a sweet family home evening. They each had a few moments of pouting, but overall it was wonderful and I could tell the kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Hooray for progress! I worried that in blogging this, that next week would be awful, but I had to write this sweet moment down, and I will celebrate this occasion no matter what happens next week!

2 comments:

the mom~ said...

Yah for a great FHE ;)

lynn said...

What a sweet experience. You are right - you just have to celebrate the good moments when they happen.