Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Draper Temple Open house

I have wonderfully fond memories of going through the Portland, Oregon Temple Open House when I was young. My youngest brother was around four and I remember being surprised that he would be allowed to come in. There was no way he would be reverent and respectful. But to my surprise, my lively four year old brother was an absolute angel. He could sense the wonderful peaceful feeling that comes from being in the temple.

(Side note: Before a temple is dedicated for use, those in the surrounding communities have the opportunity to walk through the Temples and see all the rooms and gain an understanding of why Temples are so important to those who belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints- Anyone can go at this time, it does not matter if you are a member of our church or not)

When I realized that we would have the opportunity to attend the Draper Temple Open house, I started to get excited, because I knew Noah was old enough to have a special experience. It would be so neat to show him the Sealing rooms where we are married, not just til death, but for eternity. Noah was thrilled to get to see the temple. He has told us many times when Brad and I go to the temple that he wants to come, but we always have to explain that when he is older, if he will keep all the commandments, then he can come.

I wanted everything to go perfectly, so a few days before we had a special Family Home Evening where we explained to the children why the Temple is so important to us, and how we should act in the temple. Even though Amalie is so young, I thought it would still be a neat thing to do as a family.

The day came and before I left for lunch with my sisters, I asked Brad to put Amalie down at one, since we had to leave at three thirty. Brad made sure to do so BUT instead of falling asleep, Amalie played for TWO HOURS in her crib! We finally got her out fifteen minutes before we had to leave. I hoped that she would be lulled to sleep in the car and at least get a thirty minute nap, but it was not to be.

I had planned for every single thing- we brought plenty of snacks and water. We took bathroom trips before we left and then again as soon as we got there. But I could not make Amalie sleep! As we waited in the cultural hall for our turn to watch a short movie and then be shuttled up to the temple, Amalie was wonderful. She sat quietly beside me. I was surprised since she usually does not deal well with missed sleep. A friend from my ward sat behind me and shared her yummy chocolate covered sunflower seeds with Ami. (Apparently it's a Candian treat) And Amalie was happy.

But as soon as we got into a room to watch the short movie, the trouble started. There were about twenty five people in the room, several children also, but all was completely quiet.

Except for my child.

"I don't like that BABY!" she said meanly, glaring at the precious newborn on the shoulder of the woman sitting in front of me.

"What's he doing?" she said, her glare never wavering.

"Amalie, he's just sucking on his hand. Babies like to suck," I whispered back. "I think he's so cute."

She softened a little. Then the movie came on.

"I don't like this movie! I'm scared!" Amalie shouted. The movie was not in any way scary. It was only people talking about the feelings they have when they come to the Temple and then pictures of different temples.

After much more of the same, we finally exited the room to wait for the bus that would shuttle us up to the Temple. (Because there were so many people to attend the open house, they had to have us park at different churches in the area and then shuttle us up there- otherwise the parking would be horrrendous)

As we waited at the back of the line, Amalie made comments like "I don't like these people! I want them to LEAVE!"

This was probably the only time I wished my two year old didn't have such wonderful enunciation.
For some reason, I was still hopeful that Amalie would calm down as soon as we got to the Temple. In the bus, she screamed because she didn't get her own seat. It was just too crowded. As it was, many people had to stand.
I guess this is typical two year old behavior, but honestly I don't normally have to deal with stuff like this. This was completely atypical for Amalie. Missing sleep had definitely turned her into a little beast.

The temple was beautiful and Noah was an ANGEL! Thank goodness. I hope I never forget the way he looked in his little suit, arms folded, quietly walking in the temple. He loved seeing it. Amalie, was a different story. As soon as we got to the baptismal font, she headed straight for the water. The volunteers who were there to ensure safety, stepped in front of her, like two security guards. I rushed after and grabbed Amalie- there were so many people in front of us and behind us, we were completely blocking the way. But the pattern was established and Amalie could not seem to break it. She would race ahead or step off the plastic that we were supposed to walk on, onto the gorgeous, pale cream colored carpet, so I chased her, as she tried to squeeze past the crowds.

Finally I wised up and told her that she could either hold my hand or I would carry her. She didn't believe me, so I carried her, while she screamed. I was utterly dismayed. Everyone else's children seemed to be well behaved, except mine. And I felt I was taking away from their sweet experience. I mean, it's pretty hard to feel that sweet calm, peaceful feeling when a two year old is Screaming! And there were too many people for me to just take her out. It was so crowdded, all I could do was follow along.

At the end, they had us sit in a sealing room (where families are united together for eternity) and I made sure Amalie got her own seat. I sat her down, being careful not to let the bottoms of her shoes touch the satiny, cream colored chair. But Amalie was insistent that she scoot upwards using her feet. I asked her not to. And when she ignored me, I pulled her shoes off. She screamed as our hosts tried to tell the group what happens in a Sealing room.

The people in the room were kind, and all the hosts along the way. No one gave us rude looks, but kindly ignored us. The hosts kept saying to Amalie, "There's cookies at the end," so she would scream when we would walk into the next room and there were no cookies.

I was grateful when the tour was over and wondered why in the world had I not gotten a babysitter for Amalie? But I knew the answer. If she had just gotten a nap, she would have been perfectly fine.

But luckily, I was blessed to keep my cool. I wasn't angry at Amalie, just frustrated that she hadn't taken a nap. Thankfully, Noah had a wonderful experience. I honestly had not been able to enjoy it, but I will just have to go back once it's open. And then it will be only me and Brad and no children and we can thoroughly enjoy the sweet, peaceful feeling.
*Don't worry Amalie, I still adore you!

4 comments:

me said...

I know the feeling. They really need there naps and just so you know, they grow out of that and then in their teen years they regress back to the needing of a nap!

Amy said...

So nice to know that I'm not the only one that those things happen to. ;) I'm so impressed that you kept your cool... that takes a lot of work!
Hopefully your next trip to that temple will be a little bit different.

Luigi said...

you know Kate, this made me smile. I wish my mom could read it..I remember when I was a little boy..we used to attend mass at the huge Catholic cathedral and one night I walked down the isle to the altar from where the priest was celebrating the communion and pulled the table cloth..mom had to walked to the front and get me..she was so embarrassed, that she quit taking me to church for a few weeks! But..kids grow up! :-)

Anonymous said...

Great family photo!