Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ward Campout

When Brad and I heard that our Ward was having a camping trip, we were both really excited. We were looking forward to camping as a family,despite the fact that the only camping equipment we have are sleeping bags.(BTW, Thanks Ian and Serena for letting us use your awesome tent!)

After traveling on a dirt road than seemed to take us up the mountain and then down to the other side,we made it to beautiful Rock Canyon and camped in a gorgeous meadow dense with dragon flies. We ate hot dogs for dinner, had delicious dutch oven desserts and homemade ice cream. We were enjoying conversation when our children told us they were tired and wanted to go to bed. We listened as this is a rare occasion in our family.

But of course, by the time we were all in pajamas and ready for bed, the kids had a second wind. Amalie was enjoying the freedom from her crib and kept bed-hopping from our cots (borrowed from the Bishop- which were a lifesaver as the ground was so bumpy)wrestling with Noah and climbing over us, all the while giggling hysterically. Finally around midnight (only 2 hours later!)we got to sleep. Around 2 am, Amalie kicked Brad out of his cot, and then a little later she woke up cold. After a half hour of her asking me to cover her over and over with her little pink blanket, I asked her if she wanted to snuggle me. To my surprise, she agreed and we snuggled in my sleeping bag. (She quieted down quickly and fell asleep- but now I was uncomfortable!)

In the morning we enjoyed a delcious breakfast with ward members. We explored the gorgeous surroundings and then took down the tent. All around us, ward members volunteered to help us, which was wonderful. The kids found some shade to play in while we finished up. Suddenly Noah was screaming and crying. I went over to where the kids were and asked Noah what was wrong. He wouldn't respond, just continued to scream, so I said "When you want my help, come and get me." Our little drama boy has cried wolf so many times, we don't exactly believe his cries for help.
We were soon done and the kids came our way, Noah still screaming. After inspection, we noticed their arms were covered with what looked like little bug bites. Amalie was absolutely covered and Noah had a few. (Notice how Noah was going ballistic and Amalie was not!)
We asked around and found out that they had gotten in some stinging nettle.

Here's the culprit. It looks so innocent, but the SEM picture shows its true colors (below)
(The bulb at the base of each hair contains the stinging liquid, which includes formic acid, histamine, acetylcholine and 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin). )

Luckily, our ward members knew what to do. They found some Lambs ear (a plant usually found nearby which is super soft) which we rubbed on their arms to take out the nettles. Then we applied Benadryl topical gel and within an hour or so, their arms were looking great. Even though I felt bad for the kids, it was a neat experience, because all these wonderful ward members were huddled around us, concerned and helping us out in every way they could. We felt very loved.
The campout was wonderful and we can't wait for the next!






2 comments:

The Ishiis said...

I am glad you guys had fun, we had so much fun on our ward campout! I love the picture of you and Amalie laughing! That was so nice of everyone to help you guys out in your predicament, now I know what to do if we ever encounter stinging nettle

Mom of 7 said...

I'm glad you put pictures of the plant. I keep thinking I should look it up since we go hiking so often. That sure looks like a lot of plants. I'm glad they are ok and you guys had fun. Wish we could have been there.