Sunday, March 2, 2008

Maid in Heaven?

"Noah!" I called. "Will you please unload the dryer?"
I opened the dryer door and set up the hamper. Then I went back to the neverending dishes.
The next thing I knew, Amalie was by the dryer. And soon she was taking out clothes and gently placing them in the hamper. I watched in amazement, thinking she would get bored and take off. But, two minutes later, she had only two socks left to unload. I raced up the stairs to get the camera and of course she was finished by the time I got back. So, I threw a sock and towel back in hoping to get an action shot. Amalie caught on, and then starting putting clothes back in the dryer. So, I settled for this shot. It was such a sweet moment, and she felt so proud of herself.
I am loving this, but does anyone know how I can keep this excitement for cleaning?

Brad has joked for some time now that Amalie must have been a maid in heaven because she loves to clean up and she loves order. She wasn't even walking before she started shutting cupboard doors and cleaning up her toys. So interesting . . . She must have inherited it from Grandma Cathy, because it definitely wasn't me!

2 comments:

The Ishiis said...

That is so sweet! I love when Derek helps out, I think the key to them loving to help is making it sound like a fun thing to do. I have asked Derek to put all the toys away in a fun tone and he picked up all the food by himself, he too was so proud of himself.

me said...

Kate, I have a friend in my ward who rewarded her kids with a shot of whip cream after each chore. You know straight out of the can and in to the mouth, using good hygeine of course. Apparently the kids love it and work for more.