Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Noah's 11th Birthday

 It hit me a couple months ago that Noah would be turning 11, so when it happened on January 7th, we were fully ready. I've felt some frustration in myself as a parent, knowing that we are heading in to the stages of junior high and teenage years and feeling that I am not as close to Noah as I should be.  For the past couple months, Brad and I have been praying about that, and I feel that my prayers have really been answered.  I feel a deeper, more unconditional love for Noah and I can very clearly see the good in him, recognize it and let him know.  He still craves my hugs and my snuggles, so I take the opportunities I can, and it makes me so happy that things have changed so dramatically, all because I decided to change.  I feel a lot closer to him and his behavior has improved dramatically.  I think the environment of unconditional love has freed him to be his best self.  It is such a sweet blessing that has come, and I know that without heavens help, I would not have seen any improvement.
 I was especially proud of Noah as he had a few things to finish up for his Arrow of Light in Scouts, and over the Christmas break, I worked with him on it and he very willingly did everything he needed to do.  It was awesome.  He had an excellent scout leader in our old ward who had helped him accomplish the vast majority of it, which was a huge blessing, since I have been a little occupied what with being pregnant half the year and moving and such.
 On Tuesday, we celebrated his birthday as a family.  He woke up and opened his presents from Gabe and Amalie.  He was so sweet and loving and expressed sheer delight at the Super Mario K'nex figure Amalie gave him and the markers Gabe gave him.  It was so fun to see the sacrifice of the 2 littler and how much Noah appreciated that sacrifice.  He went off to school with lunch money (not because he likes the school lunches, but simply because he wanted to not have to spend the time making his own) and for dinner that night, he requested spaghetti, grilled cheese sandwiches and fruit smoothies.  We gave him the night off of dinner chores, he only had to clear his plate and cup, and then later after he'd played for awhile, we had the dessert of his request, English Trifle.  Yum!  For his birthday party, he wanted to have it in Provo because he had really been missing his old friends.  So he decided to have his buddies meet us at Provo Beach Resort, and we would play games, afterwards we would pick up some pizzas and have donuts for dessert.  He really wanted me to make the phone calls to invite his friends, but I insisted that it would be better if he did it, and I was so proud that he did.  He got better with each call and it was cute seeing him learn and grow and soar in that aspect.
The boys had a blast playing games at Provo Beach Resort, getting prizes and then we went to a park since the weather was so "nice" (in the 30's), and ate pizza and donuts, and opened presents.
 I love watching Brad interact with the boys- he always has the best ideas for games- they were having dart contests where they throw a dart up in the air and catch it with the dart board, and then they raced to knock over the snowman.  They had a blast.
 I stayed with this cutie, who really does not like the cold and kept begging to go home. 
And Noah, being Noah convinced me to let two his friends come back to our house with us to let the festivities last all day.  So we did.  I'm so grateful for this boy.  And more than anything, I am so grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who answers my prayers so that I can enjoy and appreciate this boy for how amazing and wonderful he is, before its too late. 

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Jared is the same as Brad-- always thinking of creative things to do with the kids.

Sounds like a fun, full day!

Kate said...

Isn't it great?!