Monday, September 23, 2013

Little Lulu

This is the new obsession in our house: Little Lulu comic books.  The kids first brought some of these books home from the library a few months back, and I was really surprised since it is such an old comic.  (Created in the 1930's) It surprised me even more when Noah and Amalie started fighting over who got to read the book.  Thankfully, the library has an ample supply of them and lately we have been finding a number of them, so all the kids have at least one to read. 
 
It took me awhile to realize why the obsession but as I have talked with the kids and read the books with them, I have realized how wonderful Little Lulu's life seems to them- kids back then had a lot more freedom and I guess safety to roam around town, these young kids in this comic book go to the movies by themselves, get groceries from the store for their mothers, go out and play all day long, have clubhouses and such.  What a wonderful dreamy life.  I remember reading older comics as well and dreaming of that kind of freedom. 
It is kind of sad that our kids can't behave like that anymore.  Even though I believe that most people are pretty good and wouldn't hurt a child, there are some who would.  And unfortunately because of them, children no longer can act that way. 
Still, it's fun for them to read these comics.  Even Gabe has gotten into them!
Brad and I got a real kick out of this.  He looks at the books so intently that it really seems like he is reading it!  I guess it is a comic book, so he can get a feel for what is going on.  The last time we went to the library, he was insistent that he get to check out some Little Lulu books of his own.  So cute.
Glad my kids love to read, even though sometimes it gets out of hand. :)

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

We'll have to search for some of those. I've never heard of them before. That pic of Gabe is excellent. :)

nora.lakehurst said...

How fun. And I will have to get them for Dannan. She is reading some Fairy books. And she loves them. I wonder if she will like them as much as those books. Thanks for the suggestion.