When I was pregnant with Gabe, I wasn't thrilled about having another birthday in September. I figured it would be a little nicer to have the birthdays spaced out through the year. But I've changed my mind. Gabe and Amalie's bdays fall exactly a week apart, and I love it! Honestly, it makes it much easier for me as the party planner and master of ceremonies to make sure all the plans are in place.
Gabe was DYING for his birthday to come! So when the big day came, in the morning, he went downstairs and was thrilled at the way we had decorated the downstairs (again, nothing fancy, but more than just our usual sign) We had also decided to blow up 10 balloons, which Brad was so smart to use the air mattress pump- it went SO fast and my lips didn't taste like rubber.
We let him open up some presents right then and there; a Chevron car fire truck from us and a scooter from Grandma and Grandpa. Ever since Amalie got her own scooter, he REALLY wanted his own. (Previously, all 3 kids were sharing a scooter that we originally found by the dumpster. One time they fought over it so much, I threw it in the dumpster. They somehow earned it back, and Brad retrieved it for them. Still, at times, there was a bit of discord because of it.) So, now that each kid has their own scooter, it's pretty fun! Taking walks with the family is A LOT more fun!
I felt that Gabe was too young for a friend party, so instead we invited his friend, Danny over to our family party for that night, and I decided that I would do an activity with Gabe during the day when the kids were in school.
He is a HUGE fan of the movie, Cars and all of the toys and such, so I thought, Why not take him to see Planes? Well, we walked in the mall and as we got in line for the cinema, Gabe saw that there was a playground on the floor below. He asked if we could go and play, but I knew if we did we would miss the movie, so I told him that I would take him after the movie. Trying to be a "fun" mom, I paid the exorbitant price for popcorn and we got in our seats. It was a tired plot, but still the animation was fun, so I was enjoying myself when about 20 minutes into the movie, Gabe said, "I'm done," and took my hand to get me to leave. I explained to him that the movie was not over yet and that we would stay and watch it. He settled down for 2 more minutes and then again insisted that we leave.
I hurried him outside, hoping we would still be able to get a refund as I knew from when I worked at a cinema, almost 20 years prior, we gave refunds within the first 30 minutes of the movie. Thankfully, they kindly gave me a refund and we walked downstairs to the playground Gabe couldn't get his mind off of. It was funny that I spent more money than I normally do, trying to make a fun day for Gabe, and instead he loved playing in the free playground and on those cars that you can sit in and get a jerky ride in. He's hardly ever actually gotten a real ride- and when he has, he hasn't even liked it much, so he was content to just get in the cars and pretend to drive. There was a little arcade that was empty, so he ran from game to game, pretending to play, his face beaming. I need to remember that sometimes the best times don't cost a thing!
Afterwards I took him to Kmart to pick out a toy with the money another set of grandparents had sent him. There was a guy getting arrested in front of the store and a woman being questioned, so we hurried in and hurried out, hoping to avoid all the drama. It reminded me of why I rarely shop in that area of town. Gabe got a little truck he was so happy about and we headed over to Macey's to pick out donuts for his birthday dessert that night. (This kid hates cupcakes and cake, something about the store bought frosting disgusts him, which is how I felt as a kid and still do.)
I was so excited to let him help pick out the rest of the dozen donuts after he picked out two for himself to eat later. But as soon as he picked his, he was ready to go. I spent some time picking out more, since it's a lot better deal to pick out a dozen, then to buy 8. Gabe was so annoyed at me and kept saying, "Stop buying more donuts, let's go." It was so funny, because in my head, I thought it was really going to be so fun for him! I know my older two would have loved picking out that many donuts for the family, but Gabe is a different personality!
That night we had pizza and donuts and Gabe was so happy to open his presents from his brother and sister and friend and the other other Grandma and Grandpa. He had a really sweet birthday and after we put him to bed, he came out wondering if tomorrow would still be his birthday.(which ended up starting a fight between brother and sister, but we won't go into that!)
I'm so happy to have Gabe a part of our family! He is such a fun boy and I am still getting to know his personality! He has always been quite independent and became even more so this summer with me being out of commission. He can play for HOURS by himself and there were times I would ask if I could play with him, and he would say "No," and then close his bedroom door. Goofball. But now that it is just me and him at home, he seeks me out a bit more and wants to play with me. He loves to run errands with me and gets so excited when I tell him we are going somewhere that day that he can't seem to wait and tries to push me out the door, even though it is hours before I need to leave the house.
He is obsessed with juice boxes! He wants to drink them all day long. After several days of crying, screaming fits, he now understands that he is allowed to have only one each day and is very compliant in sticking to that rule. That is one of the many things I love about him; if we take the time to explain to him why we have a particular rule, he is really obedient. Sometimes we have to explain it multiple times before he "gets it", but once he does, he is so good. Makes me so happy!
He is also obsessed with cheese and I often find the 2lb bag of shredded cheese open in the fridge and a trail of shredded cheese in the fridge and all over the floor, which the ants love to feast on!
Gabe also ADORES sweets and has been a little "robber" when he finds his siblings candy stashes. Which was why I was so surprised at what happened yesterday at the grocery store. Gabe still has some birthday money, and so yesterday when we prepared to go to the grocery store, he asked if he could buy a treat with his bday money. I said, Yes and then when we got in the store he asked if we could get his treat right away. Thinking that he was referring to the candy bins, I told him that when we got to that part of the store, he could get his treat. Well, as we walked in, he saw a 6 pack of Applesauce and asked if he could buy it. I said, "Sure," assuming he would change his mind when we walked by the bulk candy bins. I went to the candy bins later, and Gabe asked, "Why are we getting candy?"
I said, "I thought you wanted some."
"I already got my treat, bemember?" was his somewhat agitated reply as he held up the applesauce.
I couldn't help laughing. What a cutie! I am glad that he likes to eat healthy foods too! His nutrition over the summer was simply awful since I only started cooking meals again in the last two weeks (on a regular basis). So, it makes me so happy that he WANTS to eat healthy food, hooray!
Another thing I love about Gabe is that he is full of smiles. He is just happy, that's just him. I love it! He has the best sense of humor, he thinks things are just so funny and he jokes around a lot. He also lets us tease him and thinks it is the funniest thing ever. So fun!
I love this boy so much and am so glad he came to our family 4 years ago!!



1 comment:
Pajamas! :) Love it.
You are a great Momma, letting things go the way he wanted to. I think I would have had a much harder time leaving the movie. (I didn't know about refunds though!) Hooray for happy days.
Post a Comment