One of the many things I love about Provo is that when Halloween falls on a Sunday, it is an unwritten rule that we all go Trick or Treating on Saturday night instead. It is AWESOME not to have the conflict with my children about keeping the Sabbath Day holy.
We also had a Trunk or Treat planned that day to be held at 5:00, so we figured we'd head over there first and then go trick or treating around the neighborhood.
And then came the RAIN. Not just a little, but quite a bit to be standing out in. Not to mention wind. By the time I had the children all dressed and ready, it was half past five. We ran out to the van, Noah complaining, "I don't want to go Trick or Treating!" I ignored him the first couple of times, but after running back and forth around and to and from the van to buckle in little ones and grab umbrellas and such, I was getting a little irritated.
When he complained again, I answered with, "Sorry. YOU'RE GOING!"
Even in the moment, I knew how ridiculous it sounded and it made me giggle.
The rain was coming down even harder when we arrived. I opened the umbrellas and gave one to Amalie and one to Noah. By this time, my optimistic Amalie was starting to get a little nervous about the whole thing, as her umbrella was being tugged by the wind.
"Let's just go and see," I said, figuring that once they started collecting candy, their spirits would lift.
But it seemed the rain had dampened their spririts as well!
With each Trunk we went to, my kids begged me to go home. I smiled and ignored them and continued to say "Just one more," each time, going on to the next car. By six o clock EVERYONE in the parking lot was soaked and we all packed up and left.
The children were so grateful to be home. I asked if anyone wanted to go around the neighborhood and was met with a resounding NO! as the children dumped their Halloween loot onto the dining room table.
My feet were itching to go back out, as I love trick or treating! I would go myself if it weren't so culturally unacceptable. But this year, I figured out a way to get the best of both worlds. I asked Gabe if I could have his candy (specifically the chocolate bars). Since he only has one word "Car", I figured his grin meant 'Yes.' So I continued to check outside to see if the rain had let up and continued to ask if anyone wanted to go.
After a half hour of begging, the children finally relented, seeing how the rain had let up. And we had fun, trick or treating. I think it will always be known as 'The Year I Begged My Children to go Trick or Treating.'
I Love these kids so much. They are constantly making me laugh. Each day I thank my Heavenly Father for the privelege of being their mother and being able to stay home with them. What joy they bring me!
2 comments:
This whole story is just so hilarious - it makes me laugh. Only you, Kate.
Oh my gosh! This am has been so fun just going through and saving tons of pictures. Thanks I can't help but have a great day. Today I clean our building and tonight is the ward temple night and in between I am going to try and replace the pump in our fountain. So really thank you for this blog. Cathy (mom)
Post a Comment