Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Birthday Contrast

My birthday was fabulous this year! Quite the contrast to last year in which I woke up on a Sunday, barely able to speak (lost most of my voice), yet alone function (still had a newborn who wouldn't let me sleep) and I had to give the lesson in Relief Society. Thankfully, due to tender mercies from the Lord, I had been inspired to show a clip of a General Conference talk, so my own talking was down to a minimum. I think some of the kids stayed home from church, which made them absolutely incorrigible. After church, I quickly threw together some chow mein, which the children complained loudly about the whole dinner. I tried to remind them that it was my birthday and they should be more concerned about making sure I had a good day, but it didn't seem to sink in. Finally, I got so upset that I asked Brad to please put them to bed, (an hour early) without dessert, I couldn't handle their ingratitude any longer. I quickly went and laid down, just wanting the day to be over! What a sad day.
But this year was oh so different. Brad had cleaned quite a bit the night before my birthday, so I woke up to a tidy house. That was one of the best presents! Then my awesome friend Alyssa babysat my two littlest so I could attend the temple. I think this will be a new tradition for me. What a wonderful way to start my birthday! I feel such peace and perspective when I go. I was on a high the rest of the day. When I opened my email, I saw I had like 20-something new messages on Facebook- so I headed over there and felt the love. That's one thing I like about FB- it's such a convenient way to wish people Happy Birthday. Love it! I talked to most of my family or received sweet songs on my voicemail, wishing me a happy b-day. I feel so grateful that I have such a huge network of loved ones rooting for me. Then my darling sister called and asked what I was doing for dinner that night. Well, the truth was, I was just going to throw something together- since Brad and I were going out that weekend to celebrate my b-day.

That was when she told me that I was going out to dinner that night on her. So awesome! So we headed over to Tucano's (a Brazilian restaurant with all you can eat meat straight from the grill). It was so yummy! So lovely to not have to cook or clean. The children behaved beautifully and we had a wonderful time. It was fun watching Noah and Amalie since we rarely go out to eat at restaurants. It was such a treat to watch their enjoyment. The children were thrilled to present to me a coupon divider that I had been wanting, that they bought with their own money. Later on that weekend, Brad and I had a birthday date that I planned. We enjoyed dinner at Rubio's (birthday meal on the house) and then attended a concert by the BYU Mens & Women's Chorus. I have missed attending these kinds of events. Sitting there, listening to this amazing music, just filled my soul. It was heavenly and I'm so grateful Brad was willing to go along and try to enjoy, when I know it's not something he would ever pick to do.

I so love my birthday. Thanks to all of you for your presents, presence, birthday wishes and love!
We love Tucano's!

No comments: