Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Trick or Treat

I love trick or treating! Even though I'm way too old to actually do it myself, it is a blast to take the children. They were so excited that we were able to get them to help us clean the house before we left. We told them we couldn't go until the downstairs was clean and at first they didn't take us seriously, but we showed them we meant business and they finished quickly and even cleaned their room!

We met up with my good friend Molly and her kids (who are great friends with my kids) and finally went trick or treating! Amalie decided to wear the dragon costume and Noah was Fireball Mario. They were so cute! We had to remind them to say "Trick or Treat" and "Thank you" however. I think next year we will practice that a little more. They were thrilled with the amount of candy they got- Noah wanted to stay out longer, but Amalie was ready to head home after we had been gone close to an hour- she was ready to eat that candy!! We headed home and to our dismay, the kids jack o' lanterns that they had carved earlier in the day were smashed up on the sidewalk and in pieces in front of our house! I was really annoyed because we had given our candy to our neighbor to pass out, hoping that would discourage punk kids. But evidently not. They seem to love to smah OUR pumpkins! Geesh and it wasn't even seven-thirty yet!

Luckily the kids weren't too upset because they were about to dig in to their candy! After checking their candy and taking out all the gum and lollipops (Noah doesn't like to throw his chewed gum in the trash, he'd rather just spit it out on the floor), we let them pick out six pieces to eat either that night or the next day (their choice) and then we combined the rest and put it aside for a movie night. I was really proud that they didn't complain about it being "theirs". Amalie was especially sweet, wanting to share with everyone. She shared with the whole family! I asked her if she wanted to save any candy for the next day and she said "No! I want to eat it all right now!" It was so cute!

The fun continued as they passed out candy to the trick or treaters that came to our door. I was upstairs feeding the baby and everytime the doorbell rang, I could hear them arguing over whose turn it was to answer the door. They loved giving out candy, which made me so happy! We had a great Halloween!

The kids had fun in this leaf pile!

He looks like Wario in this one!
What a cute dragon! She wore it trick or treating last year too!
We love trick or treating and we love CANDY!

4 comments:

the mom~ said...

Looks like a fabulous day!

Geoff and Janene said...

Sounds like fun. I can't believe your pumpkins were smashed after only an hour. That would have frustrated me too. I'm glad you had a happy halloween

me said...

There is a great story in the Friend either this month or last about pumpkin smashing. I learned to take everything inside on Halloween when we knew we were leaving. It's to much temptation for those "punk kids". I'm all about saving souls ya see!

madrilenamer said...

Looks like you all had so much fun! Cute pics of the kids!