Sunday, June 9, 2013

Park City Getaway June 1, 2013

At the end of May, when Brad was out of town, my kids were really desperate to see their cousins.  So, we decided to invite my brother, sister in law and their kids for FHE.  It ended up that my brother was out of town as well, so it was just us single moms for FHE.  It was really fun.  While Serena was there, she mentioned there had been a great hotel deal for a getaway in Park City.  And then she offered to babysit for Brad and I if we wanted to go away for a night.

Of course I was thrilled!  I have an amazing sister-in-law (and brother!).  I bought the voucher that night and I planned to have our getaway the weekend before Brad's birthday, as a fun present for him.

Our start was a little rough as we didn't get there until 3-4 hours after we'd planned on getting there, but the drive through Provo Canyon is so beautiful, it's hard not to relax and feel as though you are on vacation.  We stayed in a little place that wasn't that great, but honestly, we were glad we'd gotten away.

In the morning we went swimming and then ate at a cute little place that had the most wonderful steak salad.  We split it and then headed to Einstein to get some bagels with shmears.  Oh my goodness.  I got the cinnamon sugar bagel with a honey almond shmear, it was the perfect dessert.

Then we headed up to Park City Mountain Resort to do some hiking.  We bought passes to do the Alpine Coaster and then to ride the lift and ride the Alpine Slide back down.  We were really excited!  They had said if we rode the lift up, we should be able to hike for a little while before we got on the slide, so I was happy.

 Just before we got in line for the Coaster ride, I said, "Wait a second, Brad.  Are you going to get motion sickness if you go on this ride?" Surveying the track ahead, he shook his head.  "Nah, I'll be fine."

I decided to get on first since he had the camera and wanted to take pictures.  The track automatically pulls your cart up the mountain, and it is just beautiful with groves of aspen trees and greenery all around.  Then at the top, they let you down the winding track!

It was really fun.  Well, at least for me.  Brad tried to film it and he thinks that's why he got so motion sick. 
 
 We sat down at a bench for awhile, thinking Brad would recover and then we'd go on the next ride, but that wasn't to be.  I made several runs to get advil and then Dramamine and then finally after an hour, we headed over to this beautiful Marriott Brad had been admiring with the camera.  Brad slept on a couch to recover while I quietly read.  It was definitely hard to sit still when all I wanted to do was go play.  The thing I'd been the most excited about was riding the lift ride and hiking, neither of which we were able to do.  I thought about going ahead without Brad, but since he had already fallen asleep, I was reluctant to go without telling him. And that was the end of our getaway.
Still, it was nice to getaway and have someone else watch our children and just be able to enjoy the scenery and not think about anyone or anything else.  We'd had a wonderful time in the pool that morning, enjoying the beautiful mountain views and the crisp air.  And of course, the drive back through Provo Canyon was just beautiful. 



2 comments:

papa and bubby said...

I had to chuckle when I read about your getaway. It was an exact replay of the getaway Jeffrey and I planned to Catalina Island a few years ago. The only difference is Brad made it to a hotel and a couch where Jeffrey only made it off the boat and onto the grass at the side of a street. Jeffrey slept on the grass for over an hour, not even waking up as a man mowed the grass,spewing debris all over him.

Kate said...

Mary, Thanks for sharing that with me! Oh man, that is funny! It's crazy how much they are alike! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but it sounds funny now. We are excited to see you guys! It's coming up soon!